Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Newbee stupid question thread

JAMMAN

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK thanks, it was the "right click" part I was missing.

second question:

Where is "create arc Circ 3 pts"? I see arc 3 points but I always use Circ 3 points. I have been getting by but making an entire circle would fit my needs better.

I like it that it leaves a ghost center in the arcs really cool.

Excellent, thank you, that was the ticket. I see the selection stays per session also, real good.

On to the next:

When navigating across the screen with a lot of shaded surfaces, it's like a epileptic episode inducing Japanese anime cartoon. Hundreds of white flashes from the select. I am indecisive on this because it seems to be a great feature for anything but multiple surface drawings.

How have others been handling this, or is this something I should get used to? I see its helpfulness so I really don't want to disable it unless there is a way to disable it for surfaces only.

OK thanks, I'll try it that way for a few hours and see if I get the warm fuzzy feeling. I have a feeling it will basically be faster with it on but the flashing does drive me nuts.

More madness yet to come..................

JAMMAN,

Try Create > Arc > Circle Edge Point. This function allows you to create a circle from 2 points, or 3 points (change the mode button on the function ribbon bar).

For intersection:

Create > Curve > Curve at Intersection.

Mastercam will ask you to pick your first set of surfaces. Select a surface or multiple surfaces, and press End Selection.

Then, select the second surface(s) and press End Selection. That will generate a curve at the intersection of the surfaces.

HTH,

I used hotkeys like they were going out of style in V9, keymapped a bunch of stuff now.

Are you familiar with the keymapping in the newer versions? Also the ability to make custom dropdowns in your toolbars?

For instance, I only use create arc 3 points, but 99% of the time I actually want a circle... so I create the 3 point arc, then select the arc &

-ALT

-E

-T

-A

(alt, Edit, Trim break, close Arc)

4 quick keystrokes with my left hand and done....I don't even think about it

Just another way...welcome.gif

I used hotkeys like they were going out of style in V9, keymapped a bunch of stuff now.

Are you familiar with the keymapping in the newer versions? Also the ability to make custom dropdowns in your toolbars?

For instance, I only use create arc 3 points, but 99% of the time I actually want a circle... so I create the 3 point arc, then select the arc &

-ALT

-E

-T

-A

4 quick keystrokes with my left hand and done....I don't even think about it

Just another way...welcome.gif

I like the use of Hotkeys, but why on earth would you create a 3 point arc and then trim it, when you could just create a 3 point circle in the first place?

LOL, do you even look first???

HAHAHHAHA

-create

-curve

-curve at intersection

harhar.gif

Tee hee was not looking at that top menu, was looking at the pretty icon bar, duh to me this time!

So that top menu is about what the side menu used to be only on the top instead of the left side.

And +1 on the circle thing Colin, my exact question from earlier.

I like the use of Hotkeys, but why on earth would you create a 3 point arc and then trim it, when you could just create a 3 point circle in the first place?

Just putting my method (the use of the keys, not my geometry creation skills) out there. For someone transitioning from V9 the use of the keyboard is like comfort food, in V9 I used the keyboard more than the mouse... I'm sure there are 17 ways I could trim a second or 2 off every arc I create. I maybe make 12 circles a week....

You should see my 8 step process for creating a point at the orgin!!!rambo.gif

Use create circle endpoints, then you have the option to either use 2 or 3 points ( on your ribbon bar at top of the working space screen) to define it.

HTH

I just found a "close arc" function that works if you accidentally do a 3 point arc, it's in the dropdown next to the trim icons.

BUT now I can't find another old friend... modify/break/spl to arcs or the same thing modify/cnv to arcs.

Hi Jay,

Since I haven't called you in 10 years I did lose your number :) We can exchange it in PM. I still remember that call too, I'd mucked up a file and was trying to reverse post it and you helped greatly.

Nice PDF file, I've seen that somewhere before and will look through the whole thing before I ask any more questions.

Jim

-ALT

-E

-T

-A

I just found a "close arc" function that works if you accidentally do a 3 point arc, it's in the dropdown next to the trim icons.

Nice find! rolleyes.gif

BUT now I can't find another old friend... modify/break/spl to arcs or the same thing modify/cnv to arcs.

-ALT

-E

-S

will do what your looking for!

Jim you have a PM and did you contact Todd Tracey? he good people he will help you to.

I sent Todd a message telling him who I was. Unless I'm buggin the crap out of y'all this thread is serving me well :)

OK the create line tangent is WAY DIFFERENT but I eventually figured out what it wanted.

For the record, those commands are not the same thing.

old modify/break/spl to arcs = new Edit-Break many pieces

old modify/cnv to arcs = new Edit-Simplify

Thad

Unless I'm buggin the crap out of y'all this thread is serving me well :)

<sarcasm>

Hey Jamman, what do you think you're doing asking questions on a discussion forum? We like to keep it quiet around here. :realmad:

</sarcasm>

Apparently people like to see the same topics on the first page for days at a time. In the old days, I'm sure you remember them, you'd be lucky if a question stayed on page one for two hours! I say ask away.

I hope life is treating you well. :)

Thad