Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T A Victim of Circumstance

Müřlıń®

A while back, a worm started going around the internet that made your computer boot over and over.

I had been on the internet for 15 years and never had a virus or worm get on my computer so when my PC started rebooting over and over, I assumed that it was my time to get one.

Well, I finally got all my software re-installed and was up and running.

Now since I'm not the brightest guy on this computer stuff, I'm thinking that these hackers are getting too tricky for me.

The next thing I know is that my outlook express, opens up an e-mail in preview that happens to be the first one on the page.

This e-mail says calls me stupid and says a worm has attached to my system and it is going to crash me.

I come in here and tell you all about it and get laughed right off the boards......OK I deserved it.

Then CRASH......rebooting over and over.....bluescreen of death....ARGGGGGGG!!!

I am reading about the newest worm that is kind of like the old one and since I didn't go patch I

thoought it has to be......how are these guys getting to my PC????

Well, I finally get my PC up and running, this time I will do a Ghost and all those hackers can go to hell I'm thinking.....

My brother wiped my HDD with some super , duper, wipe program that the military uses so he says there is no way I have a boot sector virus.

I go and get a new e-mail, blah, blah, blah.....

Then before I can even get all my software re-installed....my whole computer screen turns grey and the whole screen is filled up with white symbols that looks like a house. The whole screen is just flashing at me....

I'll tell yas, I'm pulling my hair out over here.

I reboot and get DISK BOOT FAILURE....I am accused of going to webbsites and getting a virus...I think, the only sites I have been to is Anglefire and Mastercam....what is going on....

I buy a new HDD and my brother is yelling at me...there's nothing wrong with yours....

So I don't put it in and Ghost my system back on again....I am thinking that I'm a total freaking retard...

Now it's 12:30 and I'm up late keeping my CNC's running around the clock on this hot job.

Everyone is in bed and the house is quiet.

I turn on my PC so I can read the Forum and I hear this faint noise comming from my case. Kinda sounds like my HDD making a wierd noise.

Then another BOOT DISK FAILURE....

Reboot and the noise quits and so far hasnt come back....

Got to be the HDD, right???

I sure hope so....I'm installing it today when I get a chance.....

Well this was a long winded story......

But the moral is....

Things aren't always what they seem.....

Murlin teh whew....

[ 09-26-2003, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Bullines ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I would suggest a couple of things for e-mail client software (Outlook, Outlook Express, etc...) TURN OFF THE PREVIEW PANE! "Malicious" code can be run from it meaning once you open it (read once it pops up in preview) the code then executes or if there is HTML, it will sort of open a website and execute whatever the hacker wants.

I use a Software Firewall and Norton Anti-Virus. This, along with NEVER, EVER, EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES OPEN AN ATTACHEMNT FROM SOMEBODY I DON'T KNOW, and if I do know them sometimes I'll call them and ask about it before I open it.

I'm not yelling at you, I'm just trying to go for EMPHASIS .

Happy computing.

Oh, your HDD is probably suspect if it making "unnatural" noises.

JM2C

This sound to me like one the W32 series worms that was going around IE sobig or Blaster.

I had a laptop with the same thing.

I wiped the drive. Reinstalled win 2000 and as soon as you go back on the Internet you'll get it again.

You need to have someone else dowload the patches for win 2000 for you then clean the drive re-install win 2000 and apply the patches before you hook back up to the net.

If you have plenty of things plugged into your computer (multiple hard drives, CD/DVD drives, high-end video card, a few sticks of RAM, etc) make sure you have a decent enough power supply; 350W minimum.

Hard drives make many types of noises, most of which are normal. But if your HD is making "loud" noises, that's bad. Minor clicking noises is usually stiction, which is caused by humidity. Grinding or scratching noises are a sure sign of a dying hard drive (the head usually crashes into the platters).

If it's worms, virii and malware in general that you're worried about and you have a broadband connection, always do your clean Windows install with the network cable unplugged. Download service packs and antivirus definitions on a "safe" computer and burn them to a CD/DVD. Install your OS, antivirus software, service packs and anti virus definitions with your network cable unplugged. Once that's done, plug in and get the rest of the updates from Windows Update. And now for my final recommendation...

If you do not need access to an Exchange server, use Mozilla for web/email (instead of Internet Explorer and Outlook/Outlook Express) and Open Office for office suite stuff (instead of Word/Excel/PowerPoint). HTH

+1000 on the Mozilla recommendation.... Been using it for approx. six months and love it. The power supply is also a great thing to mention. Many times the supply has been the culprit when a troubled machine was doing weird things. If I were you, I'd put that new drive in, load a fresh O/S and virus scan, do all of the updates, then plug in your old drive as a slave and move whatever files you need off of it (scan them prior to moving them).

I went through a failed hard drive { tick tick....} they called it a catastrofic head crash. It's not a fun thing to happen. I lost everything, so make shure to back everything up. having to enter all those different codes and keys and ect.. is a waste of a good day.

Mozilla is actually pretty good. I have it set up with a minimum of plug-ins and most web sites work just fine with it. On the (fairly rare) occasion I find a site that dosn't work right, I just drag the link to IE and open the site there. I've heard good things about Opera, but was unimpressed by the ads in the 'free' version, and can't see paying for a product when one of better quality (Mozilla) is avalible for free.

quote:

Not to hijack this thread..I use Opera for most of my web browsing, what's Mozilla like? Brief pro's and cons?

Opera is still filled with "issues", and I resort to Explorer often....seems to usually be Javascript problems?

Many sites are not Opera-friendly, even if you set Opera to trick web servers into thinking it's IE or Mozilla.

Mozilla wouldn't be a radical change from Opera for you. It has tabs and popup blocking like Opera and it's email client is top notch (it has a built-in spam filter). Mozilla is very stable on both Windows and Linux, in my experience; not a single crash with v1.4. Mozilla renders fast...especially tables (try refreshing this forum wiht Mozilla....fast). Also, Mozilla is open source. For a "why you should use Mozilla" rant, go here.

quote:

It's "victim

DOH!!!

Heh I have to be the worst speller rolleyes.gif

Ya Rekd, I was thinking about slapping him when he gets his lazy butt outa bed......heh biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Oh ya, Bullines..the sound it was making was like, I could hear the HDD slowing down and speeding back up. At least thats what it sounded like. It was then I got the Boot Disk Falure message. I had a bad powersupply that popped my main board just a little while back and I think it might have damaged the HDD. But when I rebooted, the revving noise was gone and it came right on. Kinda sounded like a loud CD Rom but the CD Rom wasn't running at the time.

Thanks for tips guys

Murlin teh stressed out....

[ 09-26-2003, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Murlin ]

Talking about crashes I worked at a place one time and I told them problay 100 times need to back everything up and of course they didnt listen. I then had to go reload the whole office one day when they lost everything when a HDD died. Think they got a clue then of course not. I used my computer out in the shop seprate from their network cause they were always getting crap. I keeped backups of everything against their orders but not my co-worker. I again keep telling them get a CD burner a tape back-up something of course no response. Then of course it happned the HDD on our Machine Computer for all Program for a obout 4 years worth of work that was all repeat work crashed and died. It was about 4,000 man hours of programming time and set-up and job sheets and well you get my drift.

Then it became a big deal now they buy the freaking back-up. I asked them what about all that lost time and they were like oh well guess we have to start over. Well being the nice guy I am I gave them my Back-up copy of everything I had that they had forbid me to do and that pissed them off even more. Oh well such is the story of life.

This from the same guy(the owner of the compnay) who would buy tools for him to do a job then lock them up when you had to do the job and yell at you if you didnt get it done on time case he locked all the carbide up and expected you to do all the stainless with Highspeed in the same amout of time.

Crazy Millman

[ 09-26-2003, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Millman^Crazy ]

quote:

I again keep telling them get a CD burner

+1 Only way to fly biggrin.gif

I guess thats why I work for myself Crazy,

got tired of working all the numbnutz that didnt know squat......heh smile.gif

You sound like you saved that companies butt....

They shoulda gave you a raise instead of getting more pissed off.....I know I would have biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif

PS One of you Mods change the spelling of Victim for me cheers.gif I don't want to look like more of a goof than I already have heh biggrin.gif

Murlin

[ 09-26-2003, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Murlin ]

Yeah Murlin I have had many people ask me why I dont over the years and dont have one important tool to do it. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ seem to be needed to bite that off. I can say glad for you and happy to see people get out of life all the should.

I also look at life like this realtive too all that I have been through I have to feel good about the person I am and how I treat people. If I go having the thoughts I will get them back or treat them bad then I just sinking to their level and as Rekd greatly says:

quote:

Never argue with an idiot; They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Such it is with stupid people you go doing the stupid things they are then you are just going to get beat everytime may win the war but lost the battle of life.

Crazy Millman

Well Mill, that's why I got into building forging dies. It doesn't take a large investment as far as machinery goes.

It just requires knowledge.

I was in plastic and die cast injection molds in the beginning and always wanted to have my own shop.

Unfortunatly, it took a million $ to set up a AAA mold shop because of the quality of machinery you had to have.

For Forging dies however, you can start your own buisness for 10k or less. You just need to have some connections into the industry.

The tolerances on the forgings are less and your machinery can be wore out and still be able to sink good dies.

There is a mold shop on every corner of the industrial parks in my town. There are only a 5 guys who can sink forging dies around my area. So there is less competition and when Manufacturing is FAT, there is plenty of work to be had.

You just have to be willing to get your hands dirty.....REAL dirty......LOL

I paid 30k for my large CNC(26x50x20) 10 years ago. You can buy the same old POS for around 7k now. Alot of them around all over and they have only had alumi cut on them.

But it is a pain in the royal arse to keep the old control up and running and you must know the inner workings of how a CNC works.

(course I'm barley hanging on by a thread in that department).

Murlin

Well I apperciate the advice but if i ever did do it I am going to the other extreme i am going after the 5th axis work. i love doing the really outragious crazy things that most shop stay away from. I love the challage of doing something off the wall so to speak. I would also probaly look ay mulitaxis turing centers also see where the need to be able to produce that would be good. I gues the only problem is I care about qaulity over quanity and feel if you do a good job and do it right the customers will find you. It is all realztive t owhat you know and do. I have help get 4 business off the ground over the years and setup all the things from getting building wired, to vendors, to customers bases, and all the thing a good company needs to be orginzed. I once in one compnay put in a Bar code system for all the assembly goods to track the daily use and created a JIT system back before it was the in thing.

The getting the hands dirty for me is never the hard part it is the things I have seen and know about this business that bother me. i seen many people cut their own throats to get work in the door. I can say it take a speacial person to own a business in this day and time. it not like it was when my Grandfather started his own business back in the earlt 40's doing Blinds and Owenings of all things. The workmans comp is enough to drive most people out of business then their is the healt insurace. I was paying $1000 a month at one place i worked caseu they couldn't afford t opay for it another thing the politicans could care about. Oh well get off my soap box.

Have a good one Murlin See where I am at Today working for free again helping get stuff out the door.

Crazy Millman