Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

An X6 admin/it question

gcode

I've got a compter here that has been sitting since September when the programmer who used it died.

It does not have X6 on it..

We have a new hire starting in a couple of weeks...

If I install X6 now and IT creates his user account later, there will be no "my mcamx6" in the new user account.

what is the best way to fix this ... a repair install ???

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Aaron,

We are looking to setup the config file for the users as well. Have you been able to determine where the User config file come from? We thought if we could change the defaults at the source, that there would be no need to configure each user later.

Robert

Robert,

As far as I can tell from my experimentation, it comes from the ether. I think it's created by Mastercam.exe itself at run time, probably from defaults inside of the program that we don't have access to. I believe this because the newer style configs have to individually tailor the config files to the username it's installed to (i.e. there's paths inside the mcamx.config that will read C:\Users\Robert\... for you, and C:\Users\Aaron for me). I could be wrong about how it's created though. My solution was to replace the hard coded paths (C:\Users\Aaron\...) with variables in a backed up configuration file, and then use a script to read the locations from the registry (stored at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\CNC Software, Inc.\Mastercam X6 ), then go and replace the variables with the appropriate path.

It's unfortunately a hack that we have to do until they get around to putting relative paths in the config file.

Feel free to email/message me for more details.

Cheers,

Aaron

hi there

the default files are in this folder: C:\mcamx6\common\UserDefaults\CONFIG\

there you can place the cfg, mtb and kmp.

ATTENTION: open the config file with editor and search for "2152" and delete the path, same at "16001" and "16003".

2152. Odner mit Anwenderdaten? C:\Users\thename\Documents\my MCAMX6\ <--- delete the path

16001. Text nicht verfügbar? C:\USERS\thename\DOCUMENTS\MY MCAMX6\CONFIG\mastercam.kmp <--- delete the path

16003. Text nicht verfügbar? c:\users\thename\documents\my MCAMX6\config\mastercam.mtb <--- delete the path

the first time mastercam starts with the new user the config copies from C:\mcamx6\common\UserDefaults\CONFIG\ to the mymcamx6 folder and the paths will be there again for the new user.

bye

hi there

the default files are in this folder: C:\mcamx6\common\UserDefaults\CONFIG\

there you can place the cfg, mtb and kmp.

ATTENTION: open the config file with editor and search for the line 2152 and delete the path, same at line 16001 and 16017.

bye

I think you have to be careful here, because if you have multiple users, the config paths would have to be updated every time it's restored this way... Also, my mcamx.config file only has 883 lines in it...

JMC - Glad to hear that script is still serving them well :)