Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Problem mirroring solid with boolean remove

Papillon

I have a nest block created with a Boolean remove using a solid copy of the part to be nested that needs to be mirrored for creating the fixture for the opposite part. The fixture has 4 different nest blocks all created using the same method. Blocks 1, 3, 4, the baseplate, the part and all other items including wireframes and other geometry mirror without issue except for a couple chamfers on holes extruded at slight angles into the nest blocks.

The problem is that nest block #2 refuses to mirror giving me a "Parasolid® kernel interface error: Boolean error: Face imprinting operation failed." Everything else in the group will mirror except this one solid. I've tried deleting the Boolean operation, regenerating the solid and re-applying it. I've tried mirroring it alone without the rest of the assembly.

No success.

Is my best option to mirror the block without the Boolean remove operation and re-apply it after all is mirrored? That's what I'm thinking but was betting somebody here has run into this before. I'm also wondering why only this one block.

Have a great weekend!

Ernie

After trying it alone and a couple different ways of grouping, there were a couple of NB tooling blanks and a couple more nest blocks that refused to mirror.

My simple solution was to use the “NOHIST” c-hook to turn the nest blocks all into dumb solids. All mirrored without error. The downside is that any changes using the solids history would have to be made on the original file nests and then imported into the mirror part file and mirrored.

Any alternate ideas?

Ernie

After trying it alone and a couple different ways of grouping, there were a couple of NB tooling blanks and a couple more nest blocks that refused to mirror.

My simple solution was to use the “NOHIST” c-hook to turn the nest blocks all into dumb solids. All mirrored without error. The downside is that any changes using the solids history would have to be made on the original file nests and then imported into the mirror part file and mirrored.

Any alternate ideas?

Ernie

Sometimes this happens.

Remember there are always several ways to build a part....

Redo something. Add a fillet before boolean remove...then sharp it up after...

Change the way you made one of the components you used for the boolean.

You will get it to work.

Cathedral, We're currently on X5, going to X7 in a month or 2.

Murlin, The nest blocks were just about as simple as it gets with the only features causing problems being the Boolean and a chamfer on a hole... really strange. I can't simplify the part model because it's a dumb solid sent from the customer.

Stripping the history worked. Thanks for the responses.

Ernie

Cathedral, We're currently on X5, going to X7 in a month or 2.

Murlin, The nest blocks were just about as simple as it gets with the only features causing problems being the Boolean and a chamfer on a hole... really strange. I can't simplify the part model because it's a dumb solid sent from the customer.

Stripping the history worked. Thanks for the responses.

Ernie

So a .003 fillet around the sharps of the extruded champher would have made the nest unusable?

I have run into this many times with champhers...even on simple parts.

But a tiny fillet would redefine the trimmed surfs and let it mirror....possibly.

So a .003 fillet around the sharps of the extruded champher would have made the nest unusable?

I have run into this many times with champhers...even on simple parts.

But a tiny fillet would redefine the trimmed surfs and let it mirror....possibly.

No it wouldn't affect usability. The chamfer was a simple edge chamfer not related to the Boolean subtract. The Boolean created a couple sharp edges but the strange part is that 3 of the 4 nest blocks mirrored without an issue and all were created using the same sequence of operations. Job is done now. I'll remember your idea the next time this issue comes up.

Thanks!

Ernie