Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface finish blend help

rickcact1

I am cutting product in a cavity, which blends to shutoff. Surface finish blend is the obvious choice( in my eyes at least). Spiraling from center up the product. Shutoff is red, product is grey and the flare off the part is green. It looks great on the screen, but slows the machine (Mikron hsm400U LP) down, and when it slows the machine down, I get a choppy finish, which is not acceptable. It starts out cutting fast, but the closer it gets to the product the slower it gets.Here is what I changed:

tolerance-Nope

Step over-Nope

Added cycle 32 (heidenhain control) with a large tolerance-Nope

Then I thought it may be the model-Nope

I have attached the file ( hopfully). I had to change the tolerance and the step over to .01 to attach the file. My original settings are- tolerance- .0003 step over-.0015

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Rick

*****EDIT**** I guess it wont let me attach the file. I will try downloading it.

I am cutting product in a cavity, which blends to shutoff. Surface finish blend is the obvious choice( in my eyes at least). Spiraling from center up the product. Shutoff is red, product is grey and the flare off the part is green. It looks great on the screen, but slows the machine (Mikron hsm400U LP) down, and when it slows the machine down, I get a choppy finish, which is not acceptable. It starts out cutting fast, but the closer it gets to the product the slower it gets.Here is what I changed:

tolerance-Nope

Step over-Nope

Added cycle 32 (heidenhain control) with a large tolerance-Nope

Then I thought it may be the model-Nope

I have attached the file ( hopfully). I had to change the tolerance and the step over to .01 to attach the file. My original settings are- tolerance- .0003 step over-.0015

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Rick

*****EDIT**** I guess it wont let me attach the file. I will try downloading it.

Ok I got it to attach the file. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Rick

4973-CAV-TEST.MCX-7

Go into your Arc/Filter Tolerance settings and change your Cut Tolerance to allow for Line/Arc Filtering Settings and then move your slider to 95% and then activate your XY(G17), XZ(G18), YZ(G19). Set your Min Arc and your Max and then go from there.

HTH

Thank you. I am trying your suggestions as I type. I will let you know the outcome.

Wholly process time batman !!!! Its been 15 minutes and still going.

Wholly process time batman !!!! Its been 15 minutes and still going.

It took about 10 seconds over here.

Play with the filter setting until it gives you good results.

Sometimes kicking the total tolerance up a bit will still give you good results if you have the right filter settings.

Try .0005" on your total tolerance, if that's acceptable.

Go into your tool definition and check your tool.

The first time that I checked it, the tool was labeled a .500"dia. ball endmill, but it was rendering some type of bullnose endmill in verify.

Regenerated the toolpath with a new .500" ball endmil and it work fine. No gouging.

What type of cutter are you trying do this with?

I'm thinking your cutter might be too big and the toolpath is trying to force it when it blends with that small radius at the bottom with the rest of the part.

Oh Im sorry, I was planning on doing this with a 8mm bullnose with a .5 mm corner rad. My mistake on the tool. Oscar please regen it with the bullnose and see if it does theis to you.

Thanks,

Rick

I tried a few things with your 8mm bullnose and it looks like it's producing those small gouges in the gaps of the surface blends.

If you try a tool that's closer to your small fillet radius at the bottom of the feature (about .125" ball will do) it will give you a great tool path.

I just reread what you wrote Oscar. It still says 1/2 but I change the diameter and radius to suit my needs. I know its a lazy way to do it.

I'm all for saving time and being efficient, but some times(most of the time) the short cuts are what get you in trouble. Ask me how I know. :pc: