Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Updating to X6

This .pdf will help you get your X6 up and running.

This handles most straight forward installations. If you're doing something different, there may be some other things you will want or need to do.

There's been some issue of what appears to be people updating their X5 config IN the X5 folder. This "may" help

Rick,

Treat the X2 to X6 update as new installations.

You can use the same machine, control and post update described in this pdf.

Configs should not be migrated, IMO, from anything previous to X5. Toolbar files, .mtb CAN be migrated

Thanks JP, the step by step is great.

I want to make sure that I don't mess up any of my X5 stuff (in case I need to revert for an old job that needs tweaking).

Copying the specific files to the "temp" folder before the "migration" as you described will leave the actual files that X5 uses untouched.

^^^ Is that correct?

After all this updating/migrating I want to be able to use X5 as if nothing has changed.

I use the "back up" thing to keep back ups of my files as I save.... That automatically saves the files into the MCX folder inside my mcamx5. (I had about 600 files in there :blink:)

Before running the migration utility on the my mcamx5 folder I removed all the contents of the MCX folder and put them somewhere else to keep for backups. If you don't do this it will try and do something with each of those files....and take forever....

Other than that it worked great, and quick as hell...<10 sec. Toolbars, right click menu, key mapping all just as I left em in X5. Thanks JP!

Is there any way to migrate the control definitions correctly? Every version I have updated has rarely converted my previous version's settings to the new properly. I must first select the new post and then change all the control settings. The machine definitions have been fine, I only have issues with the control defs.

Prior to installing X6. I would like to remove X4 from my system...Should I use the Windows remove program feature or is there a more through/safer way to remove without hosing current X5 install?

If they're not updating properly, my guess is they are not setup properly.

If you open the control def in X5, does it show your post with a Green check, if not, there's your issue.

Also, are you using posts on a network? Changing folders will require you to make sure everything is relinked properly.

Prior to installing X6. I would like to remove X4 from my system...Should I use the Windows remove program feature or is there a more through/safer way to remove without hosing current X5 install?

X4 and X5 are different installs, I don't believe you'll have any trouble removing X4

All the X5 control defs had the green check next to the post, but in X5, I did read the machines, posts and tool libraries from the network. I had not done that in previous versions of X4 and back. Maybe that is the issue.

Yeah, when you keep everything on a network there is a bit more upfront work involved. The good thing is, if it's multiple stations, it only has to be done once. Then just point everyone at the correct location.

That's why I don't cover it in these things, it's more in depth with m any more variables that someone external can't plan on.

JP, why not include proper cleaning of the registry for reinstalls. I know it's a good idea but has it been documented with all the operating systems out there.

The reason I don't, is "most" people get really skittish in the registry and rightly so, if they mess up they could possibly hose their system.

While it's straight forward for some, I don't want to be the one people point at and say "he screwed up my computer"