Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ABS Plastic?

CNC PRO

I am supposed to machine some 29"x17.25" x1"frames, using 1/4"Flat ABS plastic.

I am in the woodowrking industry, so I don't have a whole lot of experience with plastics, although I ran this job before, I didn't get very good results, so this time I figured I would ask the experts first.

I used a Down sprial 7/16" Solid Carbide Endmill, tried verying feeds and speeds...between 200-350 ipm, and 16000-18000rpm

Due to how narrow the parts are, one problem became apparent was material hold down at higher feeds, although I seemed to get better cuts.

Another problem was that the plastic that was already cut would melt right behind the cutter (could be due to the down spiral not cleaning out the chips enough...reason I used down spiral was to lessen the chance of material lift off -should note that I am using a flat bed Router with vacume for hold down on top of a MDF spoilboard)

Any knowledge shared on how to machine this would be greatly appreciated.

I Thank you in advance.

you have to use some kind of air cooling. i would also suggest HSS end mills as they have a sharper edge than carbide.

the down cut should be OK. if perimeter or channel cutting, try a ramping type toolpath. you do not want to plunge that material, especially if you have no cooling element available.

other than that, pretty basic stuff to cut.

I cut .220 ABS using a single "O" flute 1/4" cutting tool. Ramp entry, and feeds are typically in the 150 - 200 ipm range, 12,000 - 15,000 RPM. We sometimes run one job behind another, so I'm holding the newer part over grooves cut by the previous part, which is ok most of the time if they're larger parts. If the parts start moving around on me, I'll resurface the spoil board. If your spoil board is clean and smooth and it still tries to move around, use tabs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...