Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam X7

austing

Does CNC Software normally give out an expected launch date with a new release of software?

Not publicly, however with X7 and the OS changes, they have made it known it is scheduled for 1st quarter of next year, that is no secret

So if I renew my maintenance now, I will propably get nothing for my money in the next half a year?

I don't know if there will be an MU3 or not...

but it is probably cheaper to keep your maintenance current and avoid renewal penalties next year.

• Like 1

Wow. I was totally joking.

Then I googled it and there IS such a thing as an "Octa-Core" processor already in the Intel i7

Then I started looking at 128 bit operating systems and found the following quotes:

"The big advantage of 64 bits is smooth addressing of more memory. 32-bit addresses can cover 4 gigabytes, while 64 bits can cover about 16 billion gigabytes, which is currently good enough for pretty much any purpose."

...and...

"128-bit processors could become prevalent when 16 exbibytes of addressable memory is no longer enough (128-bit processors would allow memory addressing for 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 bytes (~340.3 undecillion bytes); about 340,282,366,920,938.5 yottabytes; exactly 281,474,976,710,656 yobibytes; exactly 256 tebi-yobibytes; or exactly 256 exbi-exbibytes of memory). However, physical limits make such large amounts of memory currently impossible, given that amount greatly exceeds the total data stored on Earth."

:unsure::crazy:

Who wouldn't want a system like that? :guitar:

Just found this too...

"Microsoft is planning to make Windows 8 an 128-bit operating system, according to details leaked from the software giant's Research department."

Yeah, I know some company's don't like to pay to upgrade as you go, but it is soooo much easier to stay on the curve and learn the little things it takes to keep up with technology... rather than get 5 years behind the curve and play catch up.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
Yeah, I know some company's don't like to pay to upgrade as you go, but it is soooo much easier to stay on the curve and learn the little things it takes to keep up with technology... rather than get 5 years behind the curve and play catch up.

In a corporate setting, I've never favored being on the bleeding edge of computer technology. Some stuff never pans out so you wasted that time, money and effort. Operating systems, I could smell Vista a mile away and I was not touching tht thing with a 100 foot pole. I knew that the next OS (what is now Windows 7) would be much better. MS has a very predictable track record. WIndows 95, Windows ME, Vista... all sucked. Windows NT, Windows 2k, XP, Windows 7, all stable and reliable. Windows 8 may buck that trend, but I'm still a little on the cautious side.

Hardware... that's another beast. With the exception of the Hyper Threading on the CPU side, a lot of softwasre companies have been taking advantage of multi-core processing when it makes sense.

The moral of the story, you never want to get 2 generations behind in your OS or your hardware when computation is your business. You just don't. You'll pay a price you can't even fathom that FAR outweighs the cost of a new PC and OS.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

James "The stirring the pot"

Oh c'mon Todd... you KNOW it's coming. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that CPU and graphics intensive applications are just going to flip the double bird to 32bit OS's in the not to distant future. Kind of like back int he day when you actually HAD to have a Math Co-Processor on your 386 to run AutoCAD. Same deal. Those users that didn't have one wailed liek you just killed their children on the Gopher BB's

:stir:

:D:p

• Like 1

Unless I'm mistaken, Windows 8 is scheduled for an October 2012 release.

Beta versions are available for download on the MS website, though I've been too busy to mess with it.

regarding the cost of maintaining the software.

a couple of years ago I reprogrammed an old job using new Mastercam hi speed toolpaths

and rest roughing with stock recognition.

The cycle time went from 100+ hours of roughing to under 30 hours and insert cost went from

$3 t0 4 K to one box of Sandvik 3/4 button inserts.

Last year I took an old 5 axis job and reprogrammed for an HBM, again using high speed roughing with stock

recognition .. the job went from 35 hrs @ $300/hr to 8 hrs @ $120/hr with a 90% reduction in insert costs.

People may think they are saving money by not staying current, but they're not.

They may save the price of maintenance every year, but they are leaving money on the table

every time they hit Cycle Start

• Like 2
Unless I'm mistaken, Windows 8 is scheduled for an October 2012 release.

Microsoft just announced today, "it's done"

Microsoft Wednesday morning announced RTM for Windows 8, which stands for Released to Manufacturing. That's the technical phrase for, “Woohoo, we’re done!” — to whatever extent software can be “done” in this era of regular online updates.

Computer makers will now be able to build Windows 8 PCs in advance of the Oct. 26 general availability.

Linky

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
People may think they are saving money by not staying current, but they're not. They may save the price of maintenance every year, but they are leaving money on the table every time they hit Cycle Start.

FANBOI!!!!

:harhar:

:rofl:

Just kidding G... just kidding. :thumbup: