Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CNC ROUTER, Looking used, need recommendation.

TimHollis

Looking to buy a used CNC Router.

It will be used for making the parts in the slideshow.( Sun Visor, trucks & Buses)

One sheet at a time, as needed, not high volume, but lots of variety.

All are made from 1/8 or 3/16th tinted/ clear, lexan, plexi, acrylic.

http://s149.photobucket.com/user/timex_timex/slideshow/work/VISOR

I am looking for recommendations.

I do not want to wind up, with an orphan machine.

Something that I can't get prints, parts or service for.

Need to have a tool changer.

I already use Mastercam, for the VMC's we have.

If you looked at the parts, do you have any thoughts on the router module?

Any and All. recommendations, advice, experiences, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

tim

We purchased two of our three routers used, with good results.

The used ones are Komos, very heavy duty and high quality, and have been very good machines for us.

We recieved training from Komo, and were very well satisfied with that as well.

Our other machine is a CR Onsrud which we purchased new. It has also worked very well.

Comparing the two yields some tradeoffs, the Komos are somewhat more robust, but also more expensive.

While Komo parts and service are available, Onsrud has been much more responsive.

For the parts you are running both machines are very adequate.

You probably want a single head, single table machine.

Since you already have vmcs you might want to consider the brand of controller. Most Komos will have a Fanuc

but not quite all.

I wouldn't think you need anything special as far as spindles go.

Hope this helps.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

take a look at thermwood routers in dale, in.

we purchased a thermwood c-53 router with roller holddown. cutting two .75 inches of plywood at a time at 500 ipm. u can watch this machine in motion on utube. it is a beast, lol.

their controller is based on win 7 and works like a champ.

we also purchased a used thermwood that was 13 years old and they still had parts for that machine. very knowledgeable staff with excellant parts delivery.

you can email if u need help

jim

• 5 months later...

Hey, Tim. Did you end up finding one? Our DMS CNC Routers are really solid for really sensitive materials, but we don't tend to have many of them used for sale. : / However, if you haven't checked it out, you should see if Freedom Machine Tool Routers could do what you're looking for: www.FreedomCNC.com.  While they only come in 3 axis, are really industrial for their size and might be in the same cost range as something used. 

Best of luck finding a good fit. 

• 7 months later...

Tim,

I have Omnitech 5x10 Router with tool changer (8 tools), drill block (8 drills) and 2 Becker vacuum pumps, and love this machine. Control is Fanuc with Siemens electronics in it. To work with Mastercam you'll need post processor which you can request from Mastercam. Machine works beautifully, had no problem since bought it 4 years ago brand new. I highly recommend this brand.

Service from Omnitech is also great, thankfully I didn't have to use it so far. Any replacement parts for it should you need any can be purchased from your local McMaster Carr or any industrial machine type supply store without need for shopping for expensive parts in Europe.  

Omnitech makes smaller machine with tool changer and optional drill block (4'x8') table, which you should take a look at I think.

Their website is www.omnitech-systems.com

E-mail me with a any questions at [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...