Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Fanuc OMD DNC

Phil Orenstein

Hi Gang!

We are trying to DNC programs to a Fanuc OMD controller on a Yang CNC. Trouble is the Yang manual is in Japanese. We have no problem downloading programs into memory thru the RS232 port from the I/O menu. But we can't find the DNC or "drip feed" mode on the control! Any suggestions will, of course be appreciated! Also what settings and what baud rate can this control go up to?

Thanks,

Phil

Both of my Fanuc-0MD's have DNC settings on the mode selection knob, but I have seen in the past when you press the "parameters/diagnostics" softkey, there is a toggle in there for DNC "ON" or "OFF", and then you use the Auto switch and it will dripfeed the program.

Matt, or anyone else, I would appreciate if you could tell me what is the setting in "parameters/diagnostics" to toggle DNC "ON or "Off". This is what we are looking for.

Here are some of the parameters that appears on our setting screen (not in any particular order):

1. PWE: Parameter Write -(0:Disabled 1:Enabled

2. TVON: TV Check - O:No TV Check 1:Perform TV Check

3. ISO: Punch Code - 0:EIA code output 1:ISO code output

4. I/O Channel - 0: Channel 0 1: Channel 1

2: Channel 2 3: Channel 3

5. Seq: Sequence # - 0: no auto sequense

# insertion 1: auto sequense # insertion

6. TapeF: Tape Format

7. REVX, REVY, Mirror Image (which I advised someone else on another thread)

+others.....

It seems to me that the I/O channel controls the DNC drip feeding to the buffer. Now we have the I/O setting set to 0. We are able to download files into memeory up to 125K. It can't send any larger files. We need to access the drip feeding capabiliities for files of several megs which we have to send!

Any Fanuc O series users, or anyone who could advise me on what to try, becuase as I mentioned the Yang manual is in Japanese or Tiawanese, anyway it's all Greek to me! Also what is the maximum baud rate available for the Fanuc OMD, 9600, 19200 or higher? Also I know that the Series O fanucs are bottom of the line entry level controls a step under the 21's. What do you think, from your own expereince, of the Series O?

Sorry for the length of this esp on a Mon AM, have another coffee and I would appreciate any suggestions in getting this machine to talk big files! cheers.gif

Phil

Press the "OPR/ALARM", then under the screen press the "OPR" softkey.

My machine does not have the option under here because I have it in my mode selection knob, howeve a Leadwell I ran in the past had to be changed here. My apologies for getting it wrong in my previous post, I thought it was in the parameters menu until I started poking around the machine.

HTH.

Hi Phil.

We had a similar issue on our Fanuc OM-A control.

You might need to get the ladder logic re-written, if your still having trouble with this, let me know and I'll put you in touch with someone to help.

Lee.

Thanks for that Matt.

Lee, if you would do that I would appreciate it. According to Fanuc, our OMD control doesn't have RMT funtionality (remote mode) in Auto which means it doeasnt have DNC drip feeding capability, unless we have a remote buffer and configure the control according. Maybe it does need some re-writting of laddar logic.

Appreciate the help,

Phil

• 10 years later...

I know this is a very old post but I am up against the same issue of not being able to drip feed to my fanuc OMD controller on a Clausing Mill.

So if Phil, Lee or any of you other gentleman can steer me in the direction of getting the DNC set up on my machine would be great. I am thinking I will need something along the lines of what Lee was saying cause when I spoke to Fanuc they told me the controller was not capable of DNC.

I know this is a very old post but I am up against the same issue of not being able to drip feed to my fanuc OMD controller on a Clausing Mill.

So if Phil, Lee or any of you other gentleman can steer me in the direction of getting the DNC set up on my machine would be great. I am thinking I will need something along the lines of what Lee was saying cause when I spoke to Fanuc they told me the controller was not capable of DNC.

Well if the people who make it say it is not possible Fanuc not sure what anyone will be able to do with it. There are BTR systems than give drip feed abilities keeping the NC program on them and then feeding a little at a time. Should get a hold of one of the DNC companies and they can steer you in the right direction.

HTH

Drip feed... sorry to be an @$$ but that is a f****d up way to run long programs.

Run off the memory card, it's faster, more reliable, better in every way shape and form.

[rant]

Now for at LEAST the 100th time (Forum search is your friend - no really... It isi. There's such a wealth of knowledge in this place. People are just too f*****g lazy to search for it) ;

[/rant]

Set the machine into "MDI" Mode.

Press the OFFSET/SETTING button.

Change/Set the “I/O Channel” to “4”

Set "Parameter Write Enable" to "1"

Press the Cancel AND Reset buttons simultaneously. This will clear the alarm you get stating parameter write is enabled.

Press the "SYSTEM" button.

Press the numbers "138" on the key pad then "NO. SRCH" on the soft keys (below the CRT). You'll need to set bit 7 to a 1 (Bit order is as follows - 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 - so you'll want to change the furthermost bit to the left to a 1)

Press "3404" on the key pad then "NO. SRCH" on the soft keys. Arrow over to bit 2 (3rd bit from the right) and change that to a "1"

Press "6030" on the key pad then "NO. SRCH" on the soft keys. Change it to  "198".

Press the OFFSET/SETTING button to get back to setting and set Parameter Write Enable to a "0". Press Reset.

Now, this will allow you to run directly off your memory card.

Your main program in your machine control will just need to look like the following 2 possibilities;

%

O100(MAIN PROGRAM – POSSIBILITY 1)

M198P1234

M30

%

Your program on the memory card can be named Oxxxx (the exes being a 4 digit number that MUST correspond to the actual Sub Program Number in the sub program. (ex. O1234) with NO file extension.

%

O1234(YOUR PROGRAM NAME HERE – POSSIBILITY 1)

(YOUR PROGRAM AS NORMAL)

M99

%

You MUST have a memory card in the slot when “M198” is called or you will get an alarm.

NOTE:

You’ll need to purchase the following as well;

• USB Reader/Writer for your PC so you can load programs to the Compact Flash Card.
  • PCMCIA to Compact Flash Card Adapter so you can load programs from the Card to the machine.
  • 1MB to 1GB (MAX) Compact Flash Card. The smaller the capacity, the more likely it will be compatible with your machine.

Thanks for the response, I am very thankful of the help and would love a way to expand the machines memory to enable me to run large programs off of memory. After reading your reply and trying to walk through it I have to to the conclusion you may be referring to a different controller than I am using. 

My parameter 138 is a single digit not 8 digits, I also do not have 3404 or 6030. I also do not have a "system" button

I am all for running off of the machines memory but my machine has a very small memory and when trying to run any program over 7-8000 lines the memory is not large enough to hold the program.  So I have been trying to get the drip feed to work on it for around 2-3 months now. I have searched high and low been on the phone with machine builder as well as fanuc but of coarse these guys don't want to waste any time helping you on a machine that is 14 years old since most of them did not work there in that era and have zero knowledge of the machine.

I am all for running off of the machines memory but my machine has a very small memory and when trying to run any program over 7-8000 lines the memory is not large enough to hold the program.  So I have been trying to get the drip feed to work on it for around 2-3 months now. I have searched high and low been on the phone with machine builder as well as fanuc but of coarse these guys don't want to waste any time helping you on a machine that is 14 years old since most of them did not work there in that era and have zero knowledge of the machine.

@ twowheelwerkz,

I didn't see how old your machine is. My condolences. ;) I don't have much, but what I do have you are welcome to.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9xi11j23p8xssx9/AAAHftePV_Qa7nTFB5b5Ayfxa?dl=0

The above link will get you all the FANUC Manuals I have for the 0 Series (not 0i Series). Programming, Parameters, Maintenance, etc...

Hopefully this helps your cause. Myself I have not put my hands on a FANUC that old for at least 15 years. Ask me anything you want on an i Series and I can probably find the answer but prior to the i Series gets a bit dicey for me. Good luck man! :cheers: