Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Auto Cursor in X

heeler

"Go to Settings, Key mapping, select AutoCursor from Category list, and you can create shortcut keys to whatever selection modes you want. Go to Settings, Customize, and you can add them to the right-click menu."

Does this mean I can map keys everywhere I used to use key board choices? I used to use my left hand a LOT but now it does almost nothing as my right hand moves the curser over here to click then over there to click and then back and drag down a menu and click then over there to pick . . . And if you move you mouse to soon after you click, you didn't get it clicked. Too slow!

Jaz,

quote:

Does this mean I can map keys everywhere I used to use key board choices?

In a word, yes.

LaszloK,

quote:

I agree that there are many times ( a screen full of small circles) when hitting the "c" with one hand and positioned the mouse with the other is the quickest way to pick the centers and not quadrants or end points.

Why not use the "Mask on arc" function to select all the centers of circles that are the same size? Another option is to simply window select all the circles or click on the "All" button and use the Entities mask feature on the bottom to select all arcs. HTH biggrin.gif

Are the Settings (Configuration, Customize, Key Mapping, and Toolbar States) saved as part of the config file? Or how would I take my MCX settings with me to another workstation? Conversely, how would I reset my workstation to its factory default to accomodate someone who is not used to my way of wanting things?

There's at least a few different files, I might be missing some but here's a few you mentioned. All can be found in the mcamx/config/ directory (unless of course you saved them elsewhere).

.CONFIG = Settings within Settings > Configuration (like version 9's .cfg file)

.KMP = Key Mapping File (ie. shortcuts/hotkeys)

.MTB = Toolbar States

.MMD, .LMD, .RMD = Machine Definitions? This should be your Mill/Lathe/Router machine definitions but I could be wrong.

There's also other files in other places like materials libraries (mcamx/materials/) tool libraries (ex. for Mill: mcamx/mill/tools/), Posts (mcamx/mill/posts/), Operation Defaults (mcamx/mill/ops/).

Hope that helps a bit.

Jeremy

quote:

Why not use the "Mask on arc" function to select all the centers of circles that are the same size?

Mask on arc works well if you are working in 2D. If you are working with a solid, mask on arc does not alway pick arcs at the correct Z level. If mask on are had a plane mask it might be a little more useful on a solid. Soliddrill does the same thing. I want to be able to use incremental values with my spoting drilling cycles.

chris m,

quote:

Both of your posts in this thread COMPLETELY contradict what Steve said yesterday in the 'class'

I wasn't present for most of Steve's presentation yesterday. I was busy helping to put together more packages for the seminars today and tomorrow. There are many options for selecting geometry. The General Selection toolbar allows for many of the same ways geometry was selected in V9, it just looks different and there are additional methods as well. The All and Only buttons contain most of the "masking" options that were available from the geometry selection menu of V9. Vector selection and pre-selection techniques take a little time to get used to. Steve may have simply decided to concentrate on the new methods for geometry selection. He was also having some problems with the mill file that I designed for the seminar. I had no problems with the same file today on my computer. HTH biggrin.gif

The cursor shape shows you EXACTLY what your picking. What more can they do. One of the biggest problems in the shop environment is dirty mouse balls. Yes I said it. Dirty Mouse Balls. It's an epidemic in machine shops everywhere.

My point is that some customers mice are SUPER inaccurate because of the dirt on the wheels inside the mouse. This makes it hard to move and hard to pick things with any accuracy.

So Come On America.... Clean Your Balls!

(& Canada, Europe, South America & the Aussies).

Mike Mattera

I'm curious has anyone tried using two mice for MCAM X as the Keyboard is now useless unless you would like to write yourself a note of-course. I also HATE the Auto cursor but wouldn't take it away from those who do find it usefull. I have used quick keys e,c,l,o,a,q,r,d,w for years now and shouldn't have to go re-map them to work. They are more efficient as they use both hands at once and give the results you desire every time. Also using the selection mode why isn't it MODAL? When I pick Center on the selection drop down mentioned above it shouldn't allow me to sketch just because I'm not close enough to an arc.

It seems as though CNC didn't care to BETA this with everyday users, or those users lost touch with

the versatility of the software as it stood. When they said it was going to be easier to customise I didn't think they meant you would HAVE to customise it to get it to work as well as it did before.

I've had X for over a week and the only hair left on my head is Grey.

PS: My mouse is Logitech MX LAZER, it never had a ball to get dirty, I suggest you keep your balls off the shop floor if you have a problem with them getting dirty.

The short cuts are faster if you have a crap load of geo in a small spot it is easier to just hit e for end point or c for center. I have used autocads tab method alot but it still takes longer. Nothing drives me crazy more than in a tight spot and in a hurry and your cursor is grabbing every damn thing in site and you have to keep shutting off what you don't want. mho smile.gif

I liked the autocursor until this afternoon, when I tried to create a line tangent to an arc at an angle. Autocursor gave me multiple tangent points on the arc, even though i gave it a locked in angle. turned autocursor off and it worked fine. fill me in what i did wrong??????????

quote:

Optic mice are cool....

+1000 Murlin

but i have to agree w/ the general concensus here, i was f'n livid when i learned that they removed the old selection hotkeys. much faster the old way, in my opinion.

i guess i have a free hand to slap all my operators now biggrin.gif

Hate that auto-curse.

Just getting a little familiar with X now since we had HOT HOT jobs going on last week when we installed the new software and didn't have time to learn about it. So far my major complaint is with how Mcam decides what it will or won't pick. I'm surprised that there is no TANGENT option under the line creation dropdown, and Mcam X seems very resistant to performing such an operation. The auto curse will let me pick the endpoint of my line, then it will show me the little tangent symbol when I get in the right neighborhood, but then puts the second end of the line at the arc center. Same thing if I use the selection dropdown up on the ribbon bar. I can right click and exclude the selection options except for tangent, and it will create my line as intended. I can get the job done, but what a battle! GEEZE LOUISE!

Like a lot of you guys I liked to select with the keyboard. Without having to zoom way in or play around with the layers, I could almost always pick meaningful points on the geometry even though I may not have been able to put the cursor right on the point to be used.

I suppose the new environment will eventually become second nature, but at the moment it's sucking the life out of me.