Welcome to eMastercam.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

NPT Thread mill toolpath

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

MasterCAM Rulez

MasterCAM Rulez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I need to create a 1.5-11.5 NPT internal thread, I'm not sure if I do it right, i need some help and recommendation.

Alt+C,Thelix-->

1. Enter the Radius: .95
(top internal diameter of thread is 1.9O0/2 =.95)?
!HELP! confused.gif

2. Enter the starting angle: O

3. Enter the incremental angle: 5.
(what angle value should enter i need a recommendation)? !HELP! confused.gif

4.Enter the number of revolutions: 4
(how many rev. should i put)? !HELP! confused.gif

5.Enter the pitch: .08695
(1/11.5 =.08695)? confused.gif

6. Enter the taper angle: 1.79

7.Point entry: Origin

Toolpath

Toolpath,Next Menu,Circle toolpath,Thread Mill,
entities, chain (select the helix geometry),Done, done, done

At TOOL PARAMETER where it said " TOOL DIAMETER",
I dont know what dia. should enter. !HELP confused.gif

I use thread milling insert.

Thanks in advance

Jammer™

Jammer™

Barefoot CNC

• Resellers
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,772 posts
We just did a bunch of thread milling and found several ways to do it. If your using a thread milling insert, you might want to try: Toolpaths, next menu, circ tlpths, thread mill. Set up your tool parameters, then under thread mill parameters you can set your depth, pitch, etc. The pitch on a 1.5-11.5 is (.08696) You might have to play with your settings a bit to achieve what you want, but it seemed to work pretty well for me. I use a thread mill cutter made by Advent. You might want to check them out. www.advent-threadmill.com You really need to know all the specs of the tool your using, and pick the min. diameter of your hole to be threaded. It really makes a difference on how the toolpath will be generated. Play around with it and you will see how much changing parameters affects the toolpath. Good luck!

kccadcam

kccadcam

'puter nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
In V9 go to toolpaths, next menu, circ tlpths, threadmill, there is a box to fill in your taper angle for pipe threads. Works great and is easy!!

MasterCAM Rulez

MasterCAM Rulez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
i have a problem when i toolpath a NPT.

1. I already use Alt+C to create 1.5-11.5 NPT thread, the geometry on the scene show the helix move taper (1.79)on XY axis.

2. but when i toolpath the geometry, the toolpath doesnt move taper (1.79)on XY axis, it just cut like a normal thread (UNC or UNF)
milling. confused.gif

Does any1 understand my question? confused.gif

Thanks in advance

Guy

Guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
sure but I don't know the answer tongue.gif biggrin.gif

Jammer™

Jammer™

Barefoot CNC

• Resellers
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,772 posts
Charlie, I created a thelix using the parameters you gave. I used a 1.000 dia. cutter (just for the hay of it) and it cut the taper on the helix like it should. If you are going to use a thelix to do it, make sure in your parameters that you have cutter compensation set to "off" on both controls. I would recommend you using the "thread mill" toolpath instead of the c-hook "thelix". I think you will have better luck.

kccadcam

kccadcam

'puter nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
I agree with jammer,
use the "threadmill toolpath" --- go to toolpaths,next menu,circle toolpaths,threadmill-- then all you have to do is pick points just like drilling, fill in all your parameters including taper angle and you'll be on your way.

MasterCAM Rulez

MasterCAM Rulez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Mr. William can you write down step by step how you do it (1.5-11.5 NPT thread), maybe i missed something. smile.gif

Thanks in advance