Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Kirksite milling

Quickmike

I know what turcite is. The stuff I'm talking about is called kirksite. I think this is a trade name. It is a zinc alloy used by prototype facilities to make a near net shape punch and die for forming material, not for punching or blanking. Quite often as so I've heard it is used for making hoods or doors. It does'nt last a real long time, it varies approx. 50 to 1500 hits depending on the form, material being formed, and the severity of the form.ie 90 degree forms or free form slow rolling surfaces. I think its pretty popular within the auto industry.

Good question James

(but) I think he means the kirksite

for temporary molds. I haven't cut

that brand specific one. I did cut

some of them and it was like cutting

concreate . When I worked with similar

products they were for molds. It made

a mold surface when it was poured. when

we cut into those surfaces, it ruined

the skin, and the surface would be very

pour from then on.

[ 11-01-2002, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

Concrete. I don't think that sounds like much fun. From what the people that cast it told me it machines fairly easy. But I guess we'll find out in about a week. Some people I've talked to said its fairly heavy like lead. I do have a data sheet and it is not as heavy as lead though. It says it is .25 lbs. per cu. in. which is less than steel which is about .284.

Quickmike,

I've cut a few Kirksite dies. You're in for a real treat. It cuts like butter. It's easier than cutting aluminum. On our Fadals, we took about .250 per pass at about 300 IPM. Make sure you use coolant though, because the chips can get hot and stick to the tool.

Have fun!

Thad

P.S. It is very dense (heavy).

Kirksite, I worked in a prototype shop that made this sh#%, aluminum, and zinc are the main ingredients,

Mills like Butter, I agree. Dont finish with dull tooling it will pit, It is dirty,use carbide the stuff is pretty

abrasive, dont step drill if you dont need to,if you do any drill after the first should not be sharp it will grab,dont drop it off a die cart cause it disforms,it will shift rather than break.Just some change(.02) cool.gif

Kirksite is both gummy and abrasive at the same time. Sharp carbide tools and high pressure coolant. DON'T let chips build up or they will come around and damage the surface. As stated above, don't send a drill through a pre-drilled hole, bore it out or mill to size.