Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Text file convert to TL9

divisionary1

Hi,

I seem to be having trouble converting text files to (TL9) tool libraries in version 9. I am trying to update my libraries quickly using the text editor but I can't seem to get it to work. Right clicking in tool manager lets me "Convert a library to text...", but I cant "Create a library from text..." confused.gif

Does anyone else have any trouble with this? Please let me know if there is a solution.

Thanks!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Open up Version 8.x go to NC utils, Def. tools, Library. Right click, Import/Export Tools, Convert library TO text. Select the library you wish to convert, then type a name or accept the default name and then click Save. If it prompts you to overwrite the old one, click yes (if you really want to that is), then a Notepad-like editor will pop up so you can look at it.

After you've done all of this, then you can exit V8.x, and start V9. Go to NC utils, Def. tools, Library. Right click, Import/Export Tools, Convert library FROM text. Select the library you wish to convert, you may have to go to c:mcam8lathetools to get it. Select the file you want to open, then type in a name or accept the default, and voila it is done. Now you'll need to go into Screen Config to make that library your default library.

HTH

[ 11-04-2002, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Perhaps I missed your point. I was under the impression that you had a tool library in Version 8 that you did not want to re-create for Version 9 or something of that nature.

There's no bug or "known issue" here. You've taken a tool library's text file from a previous Version and created one for your new Version so that you don't heve to create a new one.

If it is a question of updating a v8 tool library to run in v9, then there is an easier method. In v9, go to NC Utils, Def. tools, Compress, select your TL8 file (you will need to select 'All files' first). The tool library is automatically updated as it is compressed.

I don't think I missed any steps above, but I do not have a copy of Mastercam handy here at home, so my apologies if I did miss a step.

Hi

The compression tool does work very well with updating my version 8 libraries.

I have kept a MSExcel workbook/database of all of our CNC Router tooling parameters...ie. tool number, holder position, description, collet, diameter offsets, height offsets...etc. I use formulas in Excel to save mega time when I update the parameters for changes to these 100+ tools.

I was able to take some of this data into a spreadsheet and save as a comma delimited text file. I wrote a macro in MSword to re-order the data and remove the commas so to look like the TXT file (of a TL9 file).

This is where I tried to use Mcam 9's "create library from text... " and it didn't work. I used Mcam 8 to "create library from text" on this same TXT file and it worked. I had a TL8 file of my library. I then used Mcam 9's "Compress" option and changed that TL8 file to a TL9 file.

No worries... It works!..I am happy.

I just feel bad for the next guy doing this stuff when I finally hit the lottery.

Thanks Guys!! I do appreciate the help!!

• 12 years later...

Hello,

There still is a problem. If you click on a tool in the library tools or part tools, right click - Import/Export tools - convert a library to text, this brings you into the select tool library dialog and does not allow you to save to a text file. I would like to see the text output file from X9 as Tool Manager still converts an X7 text file into an X9 library but doesn't seem to populate the tool manager dialogs correctly. Any help is greatly appreciated.

JCDFCM