Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Problem with start up of X5

neurosis

I do not install Mastercam in the default location. My drives are set up in a way that drive C is a boot drive only. This means that I have to install Mastercam on drive D. Not sure if this is the issue but I wanted that to be clear.

While starting X5 I get an error. Unable to open file D:\Program Files\MCAMX5\CONFIG\MASTERCAM.KMP

Then

Error opening INSERT.TBL

When I open X5 there are no tool bars at all. When I open the user folder as shown in the documentation it takes me right to the install folder D:\....

Has anyone else experienced this?

I've not tried it but I think you are going to HAVE to install to C:\program files|

It is going to make our network administrator very unhappy that he has to reconfigure this entire system just to install one piece of software. :rolleyes:

If that is truly the case then I guess that we can figure on a full day of down time while he re partitions my drive and re-installs all of our manufacturing software?

What a bummer. This will be an expensive upgrade.

I opened X5 up and tried to fix a couple of the file location paths. I wonder if this could be done with some time invested? Pretty much "ALL" of the paths are botched including machine defs, etc. The install to drive D is completely unusable. Will this be something that is remedied in the future? Or will we be forced to use the Default path? And if that is the case, why is there an option to select a different path rather than the default?

Pretty much "ALL" of the paths are botched including machine defs, etc.

This is not "botched" on CNC's end. Microsoft (being such a SECURE platform) has tied down permissions of the root drives and other locations.

The path structure is a way of conforming to Microsoft's file and permission structure. Ugly? Yes. But not CNC's fault.

I did get X5 to recognize my network MD/CD/Post/Tool library locations in beta.

But as far as DLL linking, I am not so sure.....

IMO, an admin installing programs on a D drive is not conforming to Microsoft's structure, and as more programs become "7" compliant, more stuff will break if installed to D:

This is not "botched" on CNC's end. Microsoft (being such a SECURE platform) has tied down permissions of the root drives and other locations.

The path structure is a way of conforming to Microsoft's file and permission structure. Ugly? Yes. But not CNC's fault.

I did get X5 to recognize my network MD/CD/Post/Tool library locations in beta.

But as far as DLL linking, I am not so sure.....

IMO, an admin installing programs on a D drive is not conforming to Microsoft's structure, and as more programs become "7" compliant, more stuff will break if installed to D:

Again I will ask.. if this is the case then why is there even an option to change the default install location?

We have windows 7 installed here using windows 7 programs that are installed on D drives and even E drives without complications "this machine is running xp however". A good administrator should know how to change drive permissions to suit their needs correct? Even though a path other than the default path was selected, why would that affect the path to the config files? I understand what you are saying but I am not convinced that this mess could not be prevented.

Is this what happens when software installation gets dumbed down for the masses? :p

A good administrator should know how to change drive permissions to suit their needs correct?

A good admin should have never installed programs on a windows platform to the D drive.:lol:

Is this what happens when software installation gets dumbed down for the masses?

No, this is what happens when you take a single user, insecure OS, and try to make it a multi-user environment without considering security.

The people that blindly open and forward virus containing emails and such are also to blame.

A good admin should have never installed programs on a windows platform to the D drive.:lol:

No offense Zoober, but that is not a very intelligent statement. Not everyone has the same network setup, software requirements, etc. There are reasons that people need flexibility. Just because you do not need it to meet your specific needs does not mean that others do not as well.

You have run dual boot platforms before havent you?

Jay, my concern with that would be the ever tightening MS updates.

I am not saying it is a wrong thing, just that Microsoft will prolly break it in the future trying to tie down the OS.

People that have admin capabilities such as yourself and Neuro's admin can usually get the permissions thing done.

But for the small shops that don't have a staff Guru, they should prolly do it by the book to avoid problems.

As I said, I had no problems with network defs and stuff, but that may not be the best for all.

I have mine installed on my other box on the D: frive no issues works just fine. it will create a Programs File folder just like on your C: drive. ten it will install in there.

I wonder if there is some other issue going on. The install never created some of the folders specified in the Transition Guide. I would look but we have already un-installed it. Our network admin seems to think that we have enough space on drive C to install it but it would be close. I may just try to install it on Drive D again and see if we can get to the bottom of this issue some other way. I have a hard time believing that it would not be possible to install this on a different drive other than C.

Hopefully none of the other software that is installed is affecting this particular installation.

No offense taken. That was mostly tongue in cheek. Notice the smiley. But you are right, I prolly shouldn't have said that.

Yes, I have had about every configuration under the sun. I owned a network company,supporting many thousands of pcs, and hundreds of servers, and did a lot of weird things.

But that being said, weird is not always the best, especially when MS is trying to become secure.

My main point, was now CNC is abiding by the MS rules, and now a non-default install doesn't work as it should. That will only get worse as MS ties things down to avoid the inherent insecurities on their OS.

The main resin I install on another drive is if windows takes a dump or the main drive does all my setting and other stuff is on a separate drive. done it this way for years with all my Cad and Cad-cam stuff.

I hear you about MS but we are now counting on that they are going to make it so you can not install software on another drive. that would REALLY screw thinks up.

JM2C

No offense taken. That was mostly tongue in cheek. Notice the smiley. But you are right, I prolly shouldn't have said that.

Yes, I have had about every configuration under the sun. I owned a network company,supporting many thousands of pcs, and hundreds of servers, and did a lot of weird things.

But that being said, weird is not always the best, especially when MS is trying to become secure.

My main point, was now CNC is abiding by the MS rules, and now a non-default install doesn't work as it should. That will only get worse as MS ties things down to avoid the inherent insecurities on their OS.

I totally understand what you are saying and in fact, in some strange way, agree that rocking the boat by installing software where ever we see fit may not be the best idea due to situations like this one. Unfortunately our setup is a bit uncommon and requires a little finesse :D What is also unfortunate is that we have one of those network admins that dont like to have to mess around with stuff like this which may leave me screwed if we dont find a quick solution.

If we do not find a solution hopefully someone from CNC will chime in and offer some help.

I totally understand what you are saying and in fact, in some strange way, agree that rocking the boat by installing software where ever we see fit may not be the best idea due to situations like this one. Unfortunately our setup is a bit uncommon and requires a little finesse  :D What is also unfortunate is that we have one of those network admins that dont like to have to mess around with stuff like this which may leave me screwed if we dont find a quick solution.

If we do not find a solution hopefully someone from CNC will chime in and offer some help.

Have your admin mount a drive on the folder Mastercam wants to install in on the C drive and install on that.

http://technet.micro...y/cc753321.aspx

• Like 2

I do not install Mastercam in the default location. My drives are set up in a way that drive C is a boot drive only. This means that I have to install Mastercam on drive D. Not sure if this is the issue but I wanted that to be clear.

While starting X5 I get an error. Unable to open file D:\Program Files\MCAMX5\CONFIG\MASTERCAM.KMP

Then

Error opening INSERT.TBL

When I open X5 there are no tool bars at all. When I open the user folder as shown in the documentation it takes me right to the install folder D:\....

Has anyone else experienced this?

when you installed... did you answer "All users" or "Me only"

and where are your user files C or D ??

when you installed... did you answer "All users" or "Me only"

and where are your user files C or D ??

gcode,

I tried it both ways. Every time I tried to "open user folder" it would just open the folder that mastercam x5 installed to which was D:\Program Files\mcamx5\

It didnt appear to create any of the other folders show in the transition guide.

We managed to install it on drive C and now when we click on the mastercam X5 short cut it just hangs.

We managed to get it to install and run using the default install path. When we started X5 we has the exact same results. I dont think that it has anything to do with the fact that we had installed it on the D drive. There must be some other conflict.

I guess it it time to call customer support?

Go to System Config/Files and see where

Custom Add-in(DLL) is pathed to..

then look and see if the Chooks folder is realy there

C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAMX5\CHOOKS\

and yes, it is definitely there.

The user data folder path is C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAMX5\

and

The shared data folder path is C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAMX5\

These paths are not correct!?! are they?

The paths shown in the attachment were never created. I am not sure why.