Welcome to eMastercam.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

HOLE AXIS FOR X5.

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

5th Axis Consulting

5th Axis Consulting

Regular Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,142 posts
Linky:

On the off chance some of you have never heard about hole axis it is a free tool Verisurf gives away to all Mastercam users worldwide. It was developed by my boss Ernie Husted many years ago. There are also some free tools like minimum bounding box that will give you the smallest material for a paort and also create a WCS on it, and some free point making on surface tools with vector ability for 5 axis programming. If you have any questions or comments please post them up. Enjoy and thanks to Ernie for making them available. :D :D
  • tmontorio likes this

gcode

gcode

Serenity

• Moderators
  • 20,821 posts
Ron, has Pierce Point been added to the X5 addon yet?
The X4 Add-on has it, but Pierce Point had been left off the last X5 copy I downloaded

5th Axis Consulting

5th Axis Consulting

Regular Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,142 posts
Nope it has not been added back it will be with the Reverse as well. I will keep you posted when it gets put back on.

Rickster™

Rickster™

MOBSTERATOR

• Moderators
  • 12,570 posts
Thanks Ron!B)

Code_Breaker

Code_Breaker

Genus -- Imago Dei

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
Ron,

Everytime I used Screen Shot, X5 crashes immediately saying, "The application you were running has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

gcode

gcode

Serenity

• Moderators
  • 20,821 posts
I just tried it in X5 and its working OK for me..
May be a video setting on the Windows Performance page ????

JParis

JParis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
I have my Windows performance set to "Let Windows choose best settings"

I do not use any compatibility mode settings at all.

Works for me too

Code_Breaker

Code_Breaker

Genus -- Imago Dei

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
I have it set for "Adjust for Best Performance" with a Graphics: Desltop performance fro Windows Aero at 7.1 (the lowest sub-score)

When I have it on "Let Windows choose best settings", I get this error message:

Verisurf:
Could not create: (data path info)\DAD.png

Ron Branch @ 5th Axis

Ron Branch @ 5th Axis

Regular Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Don, that is odd could we do a go to meeting om Friday so I can take a look?

Code_Breaker

Code_Breaker

Genus -- Imago Dei

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
Sorry, that is not allowed here ...

I get the error "Could not create: \\btlfilestorage\ ... \btl_temp_files\vepe6dow5f\dad.png" ATEMP directory is created with four files:
BNCI.BIN 0kb
tbstate.dat 51kb
DAD.png 0kb
lastchn.tmp 1kb

I have NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 with updated drivers ...
I downloaded Verisurf for X5 from the download tab ...
When trying to save it and then run, it would not work ... had to RUN instead ...

Also, the Hidden Line icon converted all my solids to surfaces ...

5th Axis Consulting

5th Axis Consulting

Regular Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,142 posts
please remove posting.

Ron Branch @ 5th Axis

Ron Branch @ 5th Axis

Regular Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Also, the Hidden Line icon converted all my solids to surfaces ...

That is by design we use the surfaces as part of that function and take solids and convert them for that reason.

Are you administrator on have unrestricted access to certain folders on the computer that Verisurf and Mastercam reside in?

Code_Breaker

Code_Breaker

Genus -- Imago Dei

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Are you administrator on have unrestricted access to certain folders on the computer that Verisurf and Mastercam reside in?

Yes

K2csq7

K2csq7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts
I have a bunch of holes (surfaces). Hole Axis works great, but on 1 or 2 or 10 out of 100 it puts the point at the "bottom" instead of the "top" of the hole. I am pretty sure I must have done something differently while creating those holes, but I have no idea where to start looking. I did a dynamic analyze and the surface normals all point to the ID of the hole...

How does hole axis determine the top vs. the bottom of the hole?
TIA.

P.S. thanks to verisurf for this fantastic tool!

Ron Branch @ 5th Axis

Ron Branch @ 5th Axis

Regular Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
It goes by the intersection of the surface and the cylinder representing the hole in the surface model. If it is to close of a pick to one surface then it will use that closest surface as where to place the point, line, and circle if all of those options are picked. When it doubt I use upper and lower on the line to make sure I have something to use for a toolpath.

HTH

user1390

user1390

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Ron,

Thanks a lot for sharing the Verisurf program. Back when the initial Verisurf add-on for X4 was released, some people, including myself had problems with the post install. Strange artifacts from Verisurf made its way into Mastercam after the successful install such as when an error message would pop-up they would appear to come from Verisurf instead of Mastercam. Or, the Verisurf menu on the toolbar at the top would not show up until you moved the mouse over the title. A couple other strange things happened as well but I can't remember. In any event, a new add-on was released not long after that and it seemed to fix all these problems. Now, with the new X5 version you provided, it seems to do the same things again as did the X4 version. I was wondering if anyone else has seen any strange behaviour like this or can you recall what it was you did to fix these issues. I believe I obtained the download from the 3dgage site a long time ago, so I apologize if it is not the same download.

Thanks for any help and thanks again for the software,

U

K2csq7

K2csq7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts
Anyone out there know a workaround to get hole axis to put the point at the "top" instead of the "bottom" or the middle of the hole? (Or more likely what I may have done wrong). I created the purple surfs using revolve and the green holes (cylinders) using extrude. I put the file up on the FTP, in the X5 files folder named "HOLE AXIS"

Thanks to anyone willing to take a look.
P.S. Trying to get all the points to be at the OD.

5th Axis Consulting

5th Axis Consulting

Regular Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,142 posts
It comes down to things sometimes you can not see in blanked surfaces. If the solution is closer to the other edge on complete surface it sometimes sees that. Just the nature of a solution.

K2csq7

K2csq7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts
Thanks Ron,:(
Is there any workaround that anyone knows of?

Columbo™

Columbo™

Thee Circle™

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,570 posts
Is there a new link for X5.

I just tried to download the file. The download worked but the verisurf does not.