Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

"open with" problem with X5

Mgrenier

Hello all,

We are having some difficulties changing our computers to open files (*.mcx, *.dwg, *.x_t) in X5 rather than X4. If you right click on the file and go "open with:", you can see mcam X4 but not X5. If you browse to the X5 mastercam.exe file, it does not work.

Has anyone have this problem or is it just us? Does anybody have a solution for this?

Thanks in advance.

Hello John,

Not Win7 but WinXP 64. File open works fine it's just that not all our custommers provide CAD files. So we browse with windows explorer to see if we have a CAD file available and then double click on the file. Otherwise, we browse and if a file is available, we thenopen mastercam and re-browse to open the file. Jus wanting to save a few steps.

Spade, you are correct with mcx files, my bad...

This is not just Win7 problem, its the same with XP and Vista. You have to manually go and change every file type to open in newest version of Mastercam.

What's wrong with File open anyway?
Open mastercam -> file -> open -> browse the file -> click it OR just click the cad file icon and it opens, which one is faster and easier?

I also have XP 64. I cannot get X4 out of the "open with" list. I also cannot add X5 to the "open with" list. (both X4 & 5 are named "mastercam.exe", they are just in different folders). I think if you could get X4 off the list you will be able to add X5...

I had the same problem after I installed X5, but without uninstalling X4 first. I solved it like this:

1. Uninstall all Mastercam that you have installed.

2. Go into the registry (regedit) and delete all keys containing any of the following:

"cnc software"

"mastercam"

"mcamx"

Use search to find all.

3. Restart your computer.

4. Install Mastercam.

Now it works to associate files to Mastercam again.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Yup, the registry edit worked. It was obviously pointing to the wrong (nonexistent) folder. Surprised the X6 install didn't fix it.

FYI - This is what I changed;

OLD ;

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Mastercam.exe\shell\open\command "C:\mcamx\Mastercam.exe" "%1"

NEW;

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Mastercam.exe\shell\open\command "C:\program files\mcamx6\Mastercam.exe" "%1"

AND reboot the computer

Also fixed my Cimco editor, it too was pointing to the wrong folder.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\CIMCOEdit.exe\shell\open\command "C:\Program Files\mcamx6\common\Editors\CIMCOEdit5\CIMCOEdit.exe" "%1"

And I didn't have to reboot for this to work.

• 1 year later...