Welcome to eMastercam.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

3D Contour Tool path

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

edmBosto

edmBosto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
Had to switch from a 3D Contour path to a Surface finish project Tpath because the ball mill I used didn't follow the surface at bottom of cut. I couldn't figure out why but I had to go with what works so I switched to the surface projected path.

The geometry I chained for the 3D Contour was projected onto a compound angle. You could also see the variation in the Z depth by dynamically rotating the part looking underneath with the part shaded. Of coarse I scraped a part before I noticed.

Could this be because for the 3D contour to work correctly I needed to chain geometry at the center of the tool and not the edge? Or is this a bug. It was a 3D path because the ball mill was cutting an island and there was a compound surface at the bottom.

I'm running X4
Thank you all

Todd Tracey from Fastech

Todd Tracey from Fastech

Advanced Member

• Resellers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts
Yes. You must drive the center of the ball on the 3D contour

edmBosto

edmBosto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Yes. You must drive the center of the ball on the 3D contour

Ah ha, the answer arrives. I may have known that a long time ago, don't know for sure but I can tell ya
your reply is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

It would have been a lot of work offsetting all those tiny splines. This geometry came from Key creator then from Surf cam, then to me in MCam. Doing a pocket with the original geo. then projecting it would have been the quickest way for me in this case I believe especially if I had to lie about the cutter size to get the correct size slots etc...

Cheers Todd