Welcome to eMastercam.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Dynamic in Haynes 188

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

K2csq7

K2csq7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts
Hola Commrades,

Got a job coming up with 18 windows; .770 X 3.015 w/ .325 rads in the 4 corners.
Through an .080 wall about 6" up off the table (turned part, I will have a cap on the top while milling for added support). It will be a 3+2 setup on a very old machine. Max RPM is about 2k. Max backfeedrate = 50 IPM. (and that's pushing it)Posted Image

When your all done laughing I'd like some suggestions Posted Image!

I am planning on using a 5 fluted 5/16" Supermill at about 100 SFM & .001 CPT (to start with).
Plunging into a predrilled hole for entry.
I've got a .046 stepover in there now, and a toolpath radius of .050 (Dynamic Area). Filter = 1:1 total tolerance = .004, leaving .006 / side for finishing.

We have a similar job with more but smaller windows that runs on that machine and was programmed a long time ago, it goes like this...
An entry hole is drilled at each end, then it just plows the endmill through the middle of the slot.
I know I will have excellent tool life, but would like to get the cycle time for the roughing down from the current backplot time of 10 mins.

TIA for any suggestionsPosted Image

TEEJAY

TEEJAY

5 Axis Choreographer

• Moderators
  • 6,173 posts
good luck Kieth, We have some Haynes 282. I treat it like Rene. And to be honest, I havent had a lot of luck with dynamic toolpaths in this stuff. Seems plowing your way thru works better.It has less of a chance to fight back

K2csq7

K2csq7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts
I have used Dynamic on this stuff with good results in the past, but the amount of material to be removed was far less, and I was able to use Dynamic core as they were not closed chains. I've never seen the 282... maybe it's worse?

When your all done laughing I'd like some suggestions

good luck Kieth

You were suppossed to be done laughing before suggesting something!Posted Image
LOL, thanks Wes, I'll make up a plowing program to have as backup!

TEEJAY

TEEJAY

5 Axis Choreographer

• Moderators
  • 6,173 posts
282 is new. It turns 718 Inconnel into aluminum ;)

Jeremy Herron@DBS Solutions™

Jeremy Herron@DBS Solutions™

Advanced Member

• eMC Learning Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts
Hey Keith,

We do it all the time, with your situation I would usually go with

1/4 hanita varimill 2 5 flute 125 sfm .0025 fpt (chip thinning applied) .025 stepover, I usually about 120 mins in cut in haynes 188

or

3/8 hanita varimill 2 5 flute 145 sfm .0028 fpt (chip thinning applied) .0375 stepover, I usually about 60-90 mins in cut in haynes 188

HTH.

:thumbsup:

K2csq7

K2csq7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts
Thank you sir!