Welcome to eMastercam.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

THE NEW UMC-750 Universal 5-axis Machine

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

mkd

mkd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
"last quarter of '12"
aka next month?

their website has the UMC catagory listed, but a 404 when u click.

intresting about the fanuc compatibility focus. that has been a marketing tennent since Haas' inception.

Had a Haas AE asking me about TCP, WSEC, RTDFO, etc... How they worked,

..when u figure it out, let me know. :unworthy: JK

when are you publishing a "fanuc guide for dummies"? :unworthy:

Guest_CNC Apps Guy 1_*

Guest_CNC Apps Guy 1_*
  • Guests
Become one of my customers and I pass along EVERYTHING technical I know.

mkd

mkd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
hear that people? he's been holding back from us all these years!!

mkd

mkd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
theeere heeere!

Guest_CNC Apps Guy 1_*

Guest_CNC Apps Guy 1_*
  • Guests

hear that people? he's been holding back from us all these years!!

Got a problem with all the information I've given to all of you for FREE for the last 11 years or so? :D
  • 35K chipper likes this

mkd

mkd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
CNCAPPS, u da man!!!!
and thanks, BTW. :unworthy:

pretty darn good price on this puppy. say 150k OTD?
seems like a great starter machine. Going to make a bunch of people think twice before going directly to the euro and Asian machines.

JAMMAN

JAMMAN

3 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
They added the support bearing at the end of the turntable too :)

newbeeee

newbeeee

old but NOT grown up

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts
^^^yeh but how the heck did they get as far as making the prototype before realising they needed it? A one eye blind man squinting could have seen the need for that...

And James, many thanks for all your info throughout the years - very very much appreciated :cheers:

JAMMAN

JAMMAN

3 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
There are plenty of table/table designs that have no support. Small second rotary or 5C setups usually. I think it was just hoping and shooting from the hip rather than in depth engineering.

I have a minimill and I see several things wrong with it, big things like tool changer position that they did change in subsequent models. Try to change the coolant in a mini. real nice Gene.

mkd

mkd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
^^^^let's not even talk about a Tool Room lathe where the cross slide has some sort of felt 'seal' that actually acts as a coolant conduit which drains directly to the floor. the backsplash that looks very functional in the catalog; it serves no purpose other than to direct anything that hits it directly to the floor.
some of these littler machines may be called FIAT: Fix It Again Tony.
Haas' comical/sad lack of design prowess notwithstanding, their ability to assemble and ship main-line (VFs) machines in the USA should be respected. they run a tight ship and have been rewarded with bigtime market success. so bigger picture: if not for Haas we all would be paying much much more for our Mori's Mazaks, DMGs et al. there business model has parallels to the US military production during WWII; overwhelm them with numbers. :unworthy:

as far as the minimill that was an exercise in bringing a machine to market at an unheard of price. compromises and mistakes were made i see.
the big three automakers engaged in a similar business plan; save money on development, get a product to market fast and fix the problems as they arise on production line. really gave our auto industry a black eye.

heavychevy2155

heavychevy2155

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
It seems to have good mass for a Haas #18000 it should cut pretty smooth.

newbeeee

newbeeee

old but NOT grown up

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts
Just read on another forum that it's a worm geat for both axis on the table.

And ref the toolroom lathe - it's ok to use the handles providing you're under 5ft tall :D

Guest_CNC Apps Guy 1_*

Guest_CNC Apps Guy 1_*
  • Guests
Guys, you have to remember that Haas is not meant for every application or every market segment. The old addage "you get what you pay for" is in full effect. Do not expect FANUC/Seimens/Heidenhein functionality on a Haas. Just don't. There is a reaosn they are at the pricepont they are. Don't read this as a dig. Keeping prices at any given level requires certain sacrifices otherwise they would all machine tools would be Mitsui-Seiki, Matsuura, DMG, Toyoda, Makino, etc...

Just keep that in mind when you get all excited about a "budget" 5-Axis machine.

mkd

mkd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Just read on another forum that it's a worm geat for both axis on the table.

And ref the toolroom lathe - it's ok to use the handles providing you're under 5ft tall :D

ya those red handles can really rustle your jimmies.

YoDoug®

YoDoug®

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Guys, you have to remember that Haas is not meant for every application or every market segment. The old addage "you get what you pay for" is in full effect. Do not expect FANUC/Seimens/Heidenhein functionality on a Haas. Just don't. There is a reaosn they are at the pricepont they are. Don't read this as a dig. Keeping prices at any given level requires certain sacrifices otherwise they would all machine tools would be Mitsui-Seiki, Matsuura, DMG, Toyoda, Makino, etc...

Just keep that in mind when you get all excited about a "budget" 5-Axis machine.

Did you leave Okuma out of your list because they are on a higher level all by themselves? ;)
  • 35K chipper likes this