Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MastercamU

rchipper

I went thru 2 of their courses. The beginning one and advanced. Its an awesome course, pretty basic stuff ,but very informative and need to know info. Kinda disappointed that the Advanced class doesn't get very advanced tho. From what Ive been told thats about as advanced as the classes get from any school.

After you learn the basics the rest is up to you to learn on your own and from this fourm.

Im having a hard time writing this. Trying to get my mindset back to when I was in the classes.

Also I know everybody's needs are different and it would be impossible to cater to everybodys specific line of work.

While going thru the class i was struggling with all the different choices of toolpaths.

when and where to use them. What does each one do.

In advanced classes use real world parts. complex 3D parts.

How to make fixturing , flip parts for second or third operations.

Needs a better balance between surfaces and soilds. Seems like 90% of the course detailed soilds. I dont have soilds at work .

Go into more detail about the different parameters.

I think the best tool for learning is to watch other people program too see what steps they take in orienting a part, manipulating toolpaths., just how they do things.

Funny you just described my class I teach at the collage. I go thru the details I bring in real world project , I also bring some of the projects that I am working on at the time so people can see different types of stuff.

I will be doing this same type stuff on my online courses to.

yes I just saw that for the first time last week. My reseller was helping me with that part I was trying to make blend work. He made a 2d contour with 60 passes and trimmed it to the boundary.

Would you be able to show me a few situations were you would use trimming toolpaths?

Jay, I know what Brandon is saying. Your courses are great. So are Derek's and so are the tutorials on here. The hard part for you guys as instructors is the time it would take to show each of these parameters used in different ways. It takes time and experience to learn what each parameter does in various circumstances. I think that is what Brandon means. And unfortunately you could dedicate an entire class to each toolpath to show all of the ins and outs of each of these parameters. It would be very difficult to go into that much depth, because there are just so many things you can do with all of the toolpath settings. That is where I think the learning group can be very useful. If we got some more people involved it would be even better. By the way Brandon, I thought you were in the learning group? Message Webby if you want to be added ;)

I'm in the group. the first projects were going on when my wife had our baby. Its been crazy lol..

The housing your on now is foreign to me.

I have no clue about any rotary or lathe work.

I'm only working with 3 axis.

I'm going to jump in when I can..

I think its a great idea and know I will learn alot as well as help pass on whatever I can...

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

Wow, what a let down. My employer agreed to pay for my MastercamU courses but guess what? I don't have Windows 7, and I was told that it is a must in order to take the courses now. I took the 5 week training at our resellers and have been teaching myself Mastercam as I go but that is not cutting it for me. I want to be good, no great. The users forum has been helpful, as well as the many goto meetings with customer support but I want to grow and grow big starting now. Any alternatives?

Sorry for venting, just popped my bubble,

rchipper

Jay,

I am running XP, yes I am a bit outdated, maybe it's time to move on and up. As far as seeing the videos ? I do not know what the issue is all I know is that the reseller I contacted to sign up stated that I MUST be running windows7 in order to take the courses and did not explain why. Where this person got the information from I do not know.

rchipper

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

just a few thoughts...for me personally it would be helpful to have an online resource where we could submit parts we are struggling with and have an expert show some of the more advanced or efficient ways to program that part. I enjoy all the books and dvd's, but I still end up getting stuck on some things and my local mastercam reseller is just not that helpful (in fact I wish I could go to another city or state for training its that bad in San Diego). That being said, we continue to plod along and make the best of what we have in house to program parts. I will look at the videos others are posting on youtube to expand my knowledge, thanks for all your efforts guys!

Hi guys,

just a few thoughts...for me personally it would be helpful to have an online resource where we could submit parts we are struggling with and have an expert show some of the more advanced or efficient ways to program that part. I enjoy all the books and dvd's, but I still end up getting stuck on some things and my local mastercam reseller is just not that helpful (in fact I wish I could go to another city or state for training its that bad in San Diego). That being said, we continue to plod along and make the best of what we have in house to program parts. I will look at the videos others are posting on youtube to expand my knowledge, thanks for all your efforts guys!

Have you looked at Eapprentice.net as one thought and another city how about Santa Clarita, College of the canyons.

I am down in SD twice week working on site at my customers not that bad of a drive.

Your dealer must be really busy as he really knows this stuff and likes to help.