Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Where can I find basic post editing info

It seems like I spend half of my time when editing a post trying to figure out fairly basic things. Only to forget by the next time. Is there a file somewhere that explains what the common characters in the post are? Things like e$, pbld, n$

Also different posts seem to use to use different characters for the same thing.

e$ and pe for end of line

pn and n$ for line number

Is there any difference?

Your reseller can provide the 'MP Documentation Portfolio' for a nominal charge. This is a comprehensive collection of information about everything that can be done with the post processor. All available functions and variables are covered. Well worth the price if you want to do post work.

To answer you question above, any variables that have the $ on them are 'system' variables that are automatically established by the post engine. You do not have to define them. You can access the data, even change the values that they contain (but I personally do not recommend it).

The pe and pn you see could be user-defined variables that contain the same information as e$ and n$. More likely, though, they may be calls to postblocks. Postblock names always start with the letter p and perform whatever code contained inside when called.

Thanks for the info. I will have to email our reseller to see how much it costs. I checked the post and you were right about the pe and pn being postblocks. The pe postblock had e$ in it and the pn had n$ in it. Neither had anything else in it so I don't know why they didn't just use the e$ and n$.

Ben,if your serious about learning how to edit posts i would really recommend colins class mp101 at eapprentice.

I had basic knowledge of editing a post,but this class really helped me out.even though i finished the class i still go in

And revisit some of the classes ,because all the classes are recorded,so if i dont remember something i can log in my eapprentice

Account and review the class.