Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to lock open MCX file for other users

matu

Hi,

is it possible to lock open MCX file for other users?

We have more MC and when more users have opened same file in one time, we offen lost changes made by first user.

Superb will be if the lock can work automatically during openning file, something like in word or excell.

• Like 1

CNC Software, please don't do this. Thanks.

We've had the lack of communication in our cnc dept. here burn us the same way.

It would be cool if it gave you a 'warning' that the file is already in use.

I check programmers work in progress and the lock would not be

a good idea if I cant at least view a file because its locked

• Like 1

When you have a Microsoft Word file open and a 2nd session is opened, there is a warning that it's in use

and it can be opened "Read Only"

Thais is not the case with Mastercam. You can get badly burned with 2 sessions of the same file opened

You can even do it yourself on one computer if you're having an ACI moment.... and I'm speaking from

personal experience :laughing:

Open a file

Open it again in a 2nd session ..... work on it for a couple of hours save it and close it.

go to lunch

sit down, open the first session and save it... a morning's work in the 2nd session is overwritten... and you're back to square 1

I have asked Mastercam QC about this as I have seen many hours of work destroyed when 2 sessions of the same file

are open at the same time.

I had the discussion in X5 or X6 days. They told me they were aware of the problem but it would be a couple of releases

before it could be addressed... which means this will be fixed in X8 ... maybe??

• Like 1
Guest MTB Technical Services

We've had the lack of communication in our cnc dept. here burn us the same way.

It would be cool if it gave you a 'warning' that the file is already in use.

I check programmers work in progress and the lock would not be

a good idea if I cant at least view a file because its locked

If you implement a PDM system like PDMWorks you can limit check out/ check in rights so to get anything checked back in and RTM it must run through the authorized users.

Prevents all kinds of problems and File management becomes almost effortless.

You NEVER work from a network file.

All users use a locally cached file and then it's checked back in when completed.

If you implement a PDM system like PDMWorks you can limit check out/ check in rights so to get anything checked back in and RTM it must run through the authorized users.

All users use a locally cached file and then it's checked back in when completed.

Thanks Tim, I will forward that info to our IT guy.

see if he is on to something like that.

we are looking into that but it is not cheap.

There are multiple version control systems from the Software development arena that allow you to check files in and out and create changelogs based on users comments when checked in that are free to use ..

Check out CVS (concurrent versions system) or TortoiseSVN both are version control systems that use checksums on binary files to be able to tell if there is a difference between two versions.. they also do the same thing.. ie pull a copy from the network then put it back when its checked in..

Additionally since they are versioning systems.. they store backups of prior versions in the archive so if necessary you can pull an old version from the repository.. Its beyond our needs where I am now but when I used to work in software development its was critical ..

• 2 years later...

When you have a Microsoft Word file open and a 2nd session is opened, there is a warning that it's in use

and it can be opened "Read Only"

Thais is not the case with Mastercam. You can get badly burned with 2 sessions of the same file opened

You can even do it yourself on one computer if you're having an ACI moment.... and I'm speaking from

personal experience :laughing:

Open a file

Open it again in a 2nd session ..... work on it for a couple of hours save it and close it.

go to lunch

sit down, open the first session and save it... a morning's work in the 2nd session is overwritten... and you're back to square 1

I have asked Mastercam QC about this as I have seen many hours of work destroyed when 2 sessions of the same file

are open at the same time.

I had the discussion in X5 or X6 days. They told me they were aware of the problem but it would be a couple of releases

before it could be addressed... which means this will be fixed in X8 ... maybe??

Does anyone know if/when this is fixed. am having suspicious problems with my files?? shop personnel here have mastercam on floor so current project file can be open in multiple locations.

TIA

Forgot to mention PDM is not going to fly here. zero budget for things management cannot understand value in.

its just the way it is.

any ideas?

Poundwise, penny foolish.....

Keep your files in a read-only directory for others.....

besides that, got nuffin'

Forgot to mention PDM is not going to fly here. zero budget for things management cannot understand value in.

its just the way it is.

any ideas?

I posted the question on the Mastercam forum..

I'll report back with the reply 

Poundwise, penny foolish.....

Keep your files in a read-only directory for others.....

besides that, got nuffin'

no go, they wont allow that. this has been a whole lotta heart burn but not my show.

I would just like it to work like most programs (ms office etc.) some kind of notice where the file stands.

• Like 1

You can write Batch file and start nc FROM THERE

If you have administrative rights you can use something like this

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/266280

It can be done

If I will be  under LinuxI would use use Perl

I have not programmed in Windows for 10 years at least but I suspect you can write rather simple program in Visualbasic

JM5a

Yes... you can really get hurt with this one if you're not paying attention

Thankfully, the backup utility can rescue you from disaster... if you realize

what's happened before your backup copied get over written

I have my backup set to 10 instances on a storage drive on my computer that only I can access

• Like 2