Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Force C0 position on 5th axis

Does anyone know of a way to force the -C- axis position to C0 when the -A- axis is also at 0, on a 5th axis machine?

This only occurs when the tool number repeats, and changing -A- axis position to A0 from another position.

If I force a tool change here then it will post out A0 C0, but if I don't force a tool change it goes to A0, but leave the -C- axis in whatever position it was prior. And I know that the code will work just fine like that, but our operators like to be able to easily read the program and make sure it matches the print.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Ray

Does anyone know of a way to force the -C- axis position to C0 when the -A- axis is also at 0, on a 5th axis machine?

This only occurs when the tool number repeats, and changing -A- axis position to A0 from another position.

If I force a tool change here then it will post out A0 C0, but if I don't force a tool change it goes to A0, but leave the -C- axis in whatever position it was prior. And I know that the code will work just fine like that, but our operators like to be able to easily read the program and make sure it matches the print.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Ray

this is something I have never been able to solve with a Mastercam post.

The only solution I know of is to force a tool change.

I've seen a lot of work scrapped by this

The code is right, but the operator sees the odd C output, changes it to 0 and scraps the part

Solving this was one of the requirements I specified when I ordered a new 5X post for our Okuma

from ICAM..

Have you tried to use a point toolpath to do this? Make a Point toolpath that will make the machine do this, but not be a toolchange and it might do what you are after. That kind of a post change is a risky one since there may be times where A is at zero does not need to be C0. Start telling the post to force C0 when there is an A0 and asking for all types of trouble.

• Like 1

I think I may be on to something. I am trying to cancel everything, and update all the position (similar to when the post performs at a tool change).

The code is looking OK now, with a few bugs I'm still trying to work out. I'll post what I come up with if I can get it working.

Thanks, I am trying every ones suggestion.

I gave up trying to make our 5 axis post output correct positioning. I found that with a forced toolchange it did as it was supposed to, so I changed it to fake a null toolchange, and force every toolchange through the operation parameters. It works fine.

Ray, I just got burnt (slightly) by this. Had a 3+2 operation with the table at A-90 and C180. The following null toolchange had the table at A0 and yep, kept the table at C180 when it should have been C0. The part was offset on the table by approx. 5mm. The contour looked good, until it got to the front, and tried to take a 5mm cut when it should about been about .1mm. I think for safetys sake I am now going to force a toolchange for every op. At least then I know the indexes will be correct.

The generic 5axis post sure needs some work, especially in the null toolchange department... :)

At least we have Vericut. I just need to remember to position the workpiece in exactly the right spot in Vericut :)

• 2 weeks later...