Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Anyone know if the Trim tool path will work on a drilling operation?

Wondering if the trim toolpath routine can be used to trim the Z depths to the tapered bottom surface of a block? In other words keep the path in Z only within the orange chain in my attached file. I tried a few things with no success. Any ideas specifically for the trim path? I know we could project the points down to the surface and pick them as incremental depths but was wondering about the trim path.

DRILTRM.MCX-7

• 1 year later...

I would say that is safe to assume. The motion you see on your screen is not a "line" it is the display that Mastercam creates, using the point data from the drill operation as an input. There is absolutely nothing to "trim".

Instead, go into the the view you are drilling from, take whatever surface forms the bottom of your part, and "project" the drill point geometry to that surface. Then inside the Drill operation itself, set your depth to "incremental" and set your top of stock to the normal start of drill cycle.

I wouldn't think  you could use trim on a drill path unless you're outputting longhand.  Otherwise your G81/G83 will all go to the same depth or either have to ouput multiple G81/G83 fixed cycles.

However, I have used what Ron is talking about to finagle some things in a CY lathe.  Don't see why it wouldn't work with a drill.

Trim toolpath is the very old way to do surface operations

It was used  when check surfaces and boundaries were not used or had limitied functionality.

It can be used for varios tricky situations but in most cases stay away from it.

And you will have lots of spare G0 movements  that trim is not able  to filter away.

I use Mastercam for 20 years and I  used it 2 or 3 times .

BR

Wondering if the trim toolpath routine can be used to trim the Z depths to the tapered bottom surface of a block? In other words keep the path in Z only within the orange chain in my attached file. I tried a few things with no success. Any ideas specifically for the trim path? I know we could project the points down to the surface and pick them as incremental depths but was wondering about the trim path.

Scott, I just looked at your file. The easiest way is just to project the points, and that is what I would do in the first instance. Many (many!) years ago I used to programme master blades for impellers, and I had to put spot marks around the perimeter of an impeller blade surface. Up to 300-400 points sometimes. I always projected the points and used incremental depth, and it worked perfectly.