Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MATERIAL Detection

Good afternoon,

I've been thinking about material in TOOL SETTING tab and at the bottom there is a box for it and it allows us to use the MATERIAL of which built-in MasterCam library with the EDIT and SELECT buttons.

My question is, how can I use this function as to the post? Like IF MATERIAL = 6061-T6 ALUMINUM | BRASS | PLASTIC, *sm08, else, "", e$

or if MATERIAL box detects any word STAINLESS STEEL (regardless the words behind like STAINLESS STEEL A10) when posting it checks for COOLANT function off in order to not damage the shell mill inserts.

One of the biggest thing is sometimes we do not allow COOLANT run when we cut 303,304, 316L, etc... Honestly, I'm not that smart enough to write this logic. Anybody can give me a hint on this? I think it would be good for all of us because I can't just

I know I may be asking too much but at least i dare to stick my neck out to ask, appreciate for your time to ready this.

WCC, but then he still has to worry about it being defined and if they went with a defined process that they knew what the definition was and then everything was set then it would be a lot easier to work out for this application.

These are all known numbers for material. That being the defined programming process and they have decided all their programmers are too stupid to do it the right way then they can throw all these requirements on them to make sure they have added probably one of the most absurd things I think could be added, but he got what he wanted. Seems to me the operators and programmers could be given a 20 minute training have them sign they got he training form. The next time it happens and they get that warning for not following the process it will not happen again if it does you weed out the bad apple and get someone who understand that is the defined process and they will follow it. Accountability seems to be missing at this company and someone thinks making all these traps is going to help when all I see if more work that is really needed.

Hi Crazy^Millman,

Honestly, you are right. My company hires someone who does not know how to run the equipment and he is the head of the company beside the owner. We are just crazy about him because all of this talks and we have to do what he thinks would be "Good".

As you already saw that, I'm struggling with all of the ideas which made many people in this forum think I'm pretty dumb somehow. I'm just like everyone else need food to eat every meal. Most of us have only 2 choices are: 1. SIR! YES SIR. 2. I QUIT!!!!! There isn't an option for us to say NO to him.

Happy new year to you and this forum... Thank you for your input...

Sorry to be captain obvious, but not an easy task and yes been there done what you have done. I scrapped $800k of part one time because the owner knew best. Sucks, but what you are asking is not a small task and maybe someone else can chime in to help you sort it out. I would use a mi or mr value to do this verse this field since it is so wide open for description and by using a mi or mr then you can define things limits things and sort them out much easier and better in my opinion. Not that what you are doing can't be done, but if the Stainless Steel is spelled a little different you then have to put all the possible misspelling into the error checking and many other things to cover the process that if the person who is not capable of doing their job was help more accountable it would not fall back for the ring around the rosy you have been tasked with.

Good luck and hopefully you can get it figured out.