Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam and Windows 8

cincy k

Did a search and didn't come up with any really good info. 

Looking at a couple new computers for our shop and wondering if I should stick to Windows 7 or if Mastercam runs well on Windows 8.1. It looks like regular support for 7 ends next year with extended support through 2020. After looking at the Windows site it seems like the extended support doesn't really apply to me as an end user. It seems to be more for the software developers like Mastercam. Is my thought process correct? 

What are you running and do you have experience with Windows 8?

Mine crashes alot with stock models and going in and out of verify. I can run same program on a lesser comp. with windows 7 with no issues. Bad the is x8 seems to do it with stock models as well. I think I'm gonna have to build a windows 7 comp

I don't really use Windows 8 but for what it's worth my understanding of the different levels of support (regular / extended) is that when regular support ends no more development will be done on that platform (i.e. you won't get the next version of IE), extended support would include bug fixes & security patches.

Well I did some more playing with this ans it seems to be graghics card related. Was an older quadro fx 3500 I put in box and it seems to be causing the fits. I through a amd radeon hd 7450 I had laying around and its working way better. I don't think its a mastercam/ win8 thing. Just wanted to give an update.