Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rotary pocket strategy

Synthman71

Good morning,

This is my first post, so a big hi to everybody out there!

I'm new to Mastercam X7 (I have a Catia V5 and Solidworks background), so I am struggling a little bit with some topics.

I need to find the best strategy to rough and finish the wrapped pocket shown in the attached image:post-53804-0-54847300-1406797744_thumb.png

Any ideas please?

Thanks in advance!

What kind of machine? Lathe or mill with a true fourth, or 3+1?

When I do paths like that on the c-axis lathes, I will make curves on the pocket and unroll them flat onto a different level. Apply your pocketing strategy, such as high speed core or area roughing, and then use "axis substitution" to roll the toolpath onto the part. You can do the same thing if you have a true fourth axis.

post-52560-0-93710700-1406802520_thumb.jpg

It's difficult to say which strategy might be best without a file but from the small pic you provided, I might unroll the pocket profile, and use a simple 2D Pocket toolpath that is then wrapped to cut the feature for rough and then maybe a swarf to finish the walls