Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tormach (Mach3) Tap cycle help

It's been 4-5 years since I've worked on Mastercam Post files. I need to create or just replace the ptap$ section of code in the mpmaster.pst to create this output for a custom tap routine. I could really use some help getting back into this or help developing this cycle.

This is an example of good manual code that runs properly.

(Tap: 1/4 20)
N10 G90 G80 G40 G54 G20 G17 G50 G94 G64              (Safety block)
N20 M03 S400                                                                   (Spindle on CW)
N30 G0 X2 Y2 Z.1                                                              (Rapid to Above 1st Hole)
N40 G1 Z-.5 F20                                                                 (Begin Tapping 1st Hole)
N50 M04 S400                                                                    (Reverse Spindle Direction)
N60 G4 P.5                                                                         (Dwell, 0.5 Second)
N70 Z.1 F20                                                                        (Retract)
N80 M03 S400                                                                    (spindle on CW)
N90 G4 P.5                                                                         (Dwell, 0.5 Second)
N100 G0 X3 Y2                                                                  (Rapid to Above 2nd Hole)
N110 G1 Z-.5 F20                                                              (Begin Tapping 2nd Hole)
N120 M04 S400                                                                 (Reverse Spindle Direction)
N130 G4 P.5                                                                      (Dwell, 0.5 Second)
N140 Z.1 F20                                                                     (Retract)
N150 M30                                                                          (Program End)

I have the Volume 3 PDF files for Mastercam Version 9.1 Post Processor as a reference. I could use Volume 1 & 2. Is there somewhere I can download these first 2 volumes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

I tried that already. It was close but not close enough. Had problems with the tool starting at the bottom of the hole. Then I had problems with the timing partially due to the dwell being before the spindle stop. Getting close but still not there yet. I'll get it eventually. It's pausing too long when the spindle reverses. The sample code from Tormach works great. I'm just hand coding tap routines for now using a manual operation.

What version of Mastercam and what post are you using? Is the dwell always .5 seconds or is it determined by the spindle speed? If so, do you have a formula? This should be an easy modification either using the custom drill parameters in the tap cycle or using a custom drill cycle. If you haven't done much with post processors recently I would suggest becoming familiar with the post debugger (which is enabled through the Mastercam advanced configuration utility found on the Windows start menu) and also do your post editing in Code Expert. Code Expert will help you figure out which variables you need to use.

I'm getting better using the debugger. It's much nicer than the old one in Mastercam X. I'm currently running X7 and using the mpmaster.pst. My last job at work was the IT focal for the Mastercam users. I did a number of custom posts including a custom drill cycle for a Fadal deburing holes on assemblies. It's jut been over 5 years since I've worked on posts. I can had write taping cycles until I can get it to output the exact code. Not sure if the dwell will ever change. That's a good question. I could see it may need to change if the spindle speed changes too much.

It was allot easier to do right after I took the posts training at CNC. But that was 7-8 years ago when Mastercam V9 went to X.