Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X6 to X8 migrating

cbmarco

What is the best way to migrate from X6 to X8 without using the migration wizard? I know I can manually copy the files over but not sure which ones. And not sure where to copy them to. We are running off a server so I have files scattered. My goal is to keep X6 still running in the shop while I get comfortable with X8.

Personally, I would use the "Update Folder" function in the File Menu. This lets you choose exactly what to update, and gives you a "source" and a "destination" folder. This won't do anytihng to your X6 installation files, only create the updated ones in the new location.

I run X2 MR2, X4 MU2, X5 MU1, X6 MU2, X7 MU2, and X8, all on the same computer with zero issues...

What is the best way to migrate from X6 to X8 without using the migration wizard? I know I can manually copy the files over but not sure which ones. And not sure where to copy them to. We are running off a server so I have files scattered. My goal is to keep X6 still running in the shop while I get comfortable with X8.

Do not just copy files from X6 to X8,...

Big Time Bad juju

You will cause more file mapping issues than you have time to deal with.

At the very least update your custom machine & control def and posts, tool libraries, your system config should probably be done fresh because you're skipping a version, you should probably customize your toolbars fresh as well because of the new workspace format, your key mapping and right mouse custom menu can be migrated through workspace.

If your files are scattered, that's not good

The best setup is to load the files locally in their default location,..

The next best would be to load the files to the server in a directory that mimics the default install,..

That can be done by redirecting the location on the initial install.

0.02 pesos

Personally, I would use the "Update Folder" function in the File Menu. This lets you choose exactly what to update, and gives you a "source" and a "destination" folder. This won't do anytihng to your X6 installation files, only create the updated ones in the new location.

I run X2 MR2, X4 MU2, X5 MU1, X6 MU2, X7 MU2, and X8, all on the same computer with zero issues...

There is no "Update Folder" function in the File Menu. Is the migration utility the only option now?

post-2305-0-18451500-1408618695_thumb.png

Just finished using the migration wizard. In the middle of the updating process, this dialog box popped up. There was no information about what was going on or why I was being asked to save the file, but I just clicked OK. This same dialog box popped up about 6-8 more times, each time asking to save a different file and I just clicked OK. Near the end, I got another error that UpdatePost.dll chook could not be found. ??? I just clicked OK.

post-2305-0-50911100-1408622248_thumb.png

I don't know what happened, but my migrated files got written to my X6 folder instead of my X8 folder and now X8 points to my X6 folder for shared folder and user folder. To top it all off, I get errors when launching X6 and my X6 install appears to be hosed. Just what I effing needed. :thumbdown::2guns::ouch::realmad::cry::wallbash::veryangry::popo:    Where's the "I hate Mastercam updates" emoticon????

• Like 1

I don't know what happened, but my migrated files got written to my X6 folder instead of my X8 folder and now X8 points to my X6 folder for shared folder and user folder. To top it all off, I get errors when launching X6 and my X6 install appears to be hosed.

That happened to me yesterday. Had to use Windows "restore previous version" of my MCX6 folder to get MCX6 to run again.

I did X6 to X8 a couple of days ago using the migration utility. If you set the options carefully you can make it work just like the update folder utility.

I did not update my Config file started that from scratch. (Been burned on this one before)

I did update and succesfully brought in my rmb menu using the workspace utility.

Just have to take it slow and be careful.

Kevin C.

Ended up doing a system restore, then re-installing X8 and NOT selecting "Configuration Files" when using the migration wizard. There were still some paths that pointed to the X6 folder in the control def, but it appears that things are back to normal. Time will tell.

At this point I would be happy just to migrate my tool library and post. I'll fat finger the rest. For the 4th time I've tried uninstalling then reinstalling X8. Using the migration wizard is not working for my situation I guess. Just keeps screwing up my X6 every time. Very frustrating. Good thing I don't have a hot job waiting to be programmed.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know what happened, but my migrated files got written to my X6 folder instead of my X8 folder and now X8 points to my X6 folder for shared folder and user folder. To top it all off, I get errors when launching X6 and my X6 install appears to be hosed. Just what I effing needed. :thumbdown::2guns::ouch::realmad::cry::wallbash::veryangry::popo:    Where's the "I hate Mastercam updates" emoticon????

Just happened to me. X6 is hosed too. But I didn't use the migration wizard on install. But after, when I found update folder utilities gone.

Thanks CNC! :2guns::thumbdown:

Zoob did you update your files from the McamX6 directory?

I copied the specific files I needed to update into a separate folder with a folder structure that mimics the shared McamX8 directory.

You need to make certain to use the advanced migration and set it to use the subfolders.

I ran the migration out of that folder and all the files updated and were placed in the correct folder locations.

Yes. After finding update folder missing, I took my chances (ya, stoopid me) on Migration wizard. I did a custom, selective (no subfolders)because posts, MD/CD, tools, etc are all network based. Those are the only folders I updated. It shouldn't have touched mu config folder.

I was able to save X6 by deleting my config. Then, When I X6 opened, I went into config, and a lot of stuff was pointing to mymcam X8. I repointed, and All is good for X6. I also had to clean a bunch of X8 stuff (workspace, -8 stuff, don't know if I got it all) form my mycam X6 CONFIG folder.

But X8 is dust. It will not let me select default machines, and it wants my config from X6 only.

How they can screw up migration worse than it was is beyond me.

Gonna delete all traces of X8 and try again. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. I skipped X7 all together, cause it was a steaming pile.......

Just re-installed X8. Everything points to C:\Users\zoober\Documents\my mcamx6 again.

There is no C:\Users\zoober\Documents\my mcamx8 folder. Even though during the install, it shows X8 as the default shared location.

Time to uninstall, delete all traces, AND CLEAN THE REGISTRY!!

• 10 months later...

I got x9 configured it took about 10 hours total to get all my custom setup sheets and posts data paths done and working pretty solid , just wondering if that's a long time to do a UPGRADE ???

Yes......it is but if you're done and you're happy with the result, so be it....

Only for comparison I can have a complete installation & configuration done in under an hour