Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

new laptop Sager vs Boxx

I was about to order my new Sager laptop and ran across Boxx computers. Anyone ever us them? My build price is about 4k different. I assume the intel xeon e5-2697 v2 12-core 2.7ghz processor vs Intel® Core™ i7-4960X Processor Extreme Edition because other than that the build is pretty similar.

TIA

Go with the sager, you can value engineer them a little better I think.  Mine came in at $2800, I didn't take the slider all the way to the right, but I did do very well I think for a 15".

NP8268-S 1 $2,779.00 $2,779.00
Display 15.6" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Matte Finished Surface (1920 x 1080)
Zero Dead Pixel Insurance Guaranteed no dead or partially-lit pixels for first 30 days of purchasing - Special Promotion Offer!
Video & Graphics Card Nvidia Quadro K3100M Graphics with 4GB GDDR5 Video Memory [$500.00]
CPU Processor 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4810MQ Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.80GHz) - Special Upgrade Promotion Offer!
Thermal Compound IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU - Special Promotion Offer!
Operating System Genuine MS Windows® 7 Professional 32/64-Bit Edition ( 64-Bit Preloaded ) [$65.00]
Memory 32GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 4 X 8GB [$270.00]
mSATA SSD RAID Storage Options Info RAID-0 Storage ( Data Strip - Requires mSATA SSD Slot 2 with identical capacity as mSATA SSD Slot 1)
mSATA SSD Drive Slot 1 250GB Samsung 840 EVO Series mSATA3 SSD - as an OS Drive (Primary Drive C) [$200.00]
mSATA SSD Drive Slot 2 250GB Samsung 840 EVO Series mSATA3 SSD in RAID configuration [$200.00]
Hard Disk Drive 1 750GB 7200rpm SATA2 Hard Drive
Optical Drive Bay — Optical Drive or Hard Disk Drive in Optical Drive Bay with Caddy case 6X Blu-ray Reader/8X DVD±R/2.4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software - Special Promotion Offer!
Wireless Network Card Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 AC Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module - Special Promotion Offer!
Primary Battery Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
Integrated Security Device Fingerprint Reader
Microsoft Office Microsoft Home & Student Office 2013 ( Includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. ) [$145.00]
Warranty Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty

Good luck on your quest for a new comp.

I am probably one of the people G has heard good things from on Sager. When I bought mine I also got the "zero dead pixel" warranty because on a laptop that is pretty critical. I would buy another. I think BOXX was working a deal with CNC Software, or the resellers as being the "go-to" setup.

Whether it holds any weight I don't know, but I have always tried to buy one step older technology than the cutting edge most expensive items. It still is way more cost than what older stuff would be, but there always seems to be an exponential jump when you get to the very latest and fastest.

I've owned a Sager and it was a great laptop. I had it for about 3 years. It was still competing in the benchmark. Got stolen :mad: :curse:

Now I've got a Dell M6800 fully loaded. I got the 2nd fastest chip available at iit's build date. They wouldn't spring for the Extreme version. As it was, it's a $5,500 rig... and worth every penny.

NVidia Quadro K5100M @8GB

Windows 7x64 Pro

32GB RAM

Intel i7-4930MX @3.2GHz

256GB SSD Boot Drive

1TB Platter Data Drive

17" Touch Panel screen

Scores a 7.6 on the Experience Index.

Back to the OP... Sager gets 2 thumbs up IMHO.

I pretty well maxed my sager build out and I was happy for 6800. I don't mind the price hike for the latest and greatest. It is a straight right off for me and any additional time it get out of it is money. I just thought there may have been something "really" special about the boxx system. Other than the xeon processocer the only difference in builds I could see was the boxx had a couple extra ports. The xeon sounds nice on the spec sheet, but I haven't used one in quite some time that I prefer over an OC'ed I7 and I have even used some newer double xeon tower builds. I like dell but they won't let me put everything I want in it.

My thought Jeremy, I am with you on this but for the extra $1400.00 with the software you use take advantage of all that. I know some time to just want it as it is cool some time for me gets in the way. lol

But I would say if MC is what you use 60 to 90% of the time before I did that I would talk to CNC and have then tell me will the software even see that many and use it. or is going to only really see 60 cores or less. I know at time it use's my 6 cores but not all the time.

JM2C

I've owned a Sager and it was a great laptop. I had it for about 3 years. It was still competing in the benchmark. Got stolen :mad: :curse:

Now I've got a Dell M6800 fully loaded. I got the 2nd fastest chip available at iit's build date. They wouldn't spring for the Extreme version. As it was, it's a $5,500 rig... and worth every penny.

NVidia Quadro K5100M @8GB

Windows 7x64 Pro

32GB RAM

Intel i7-4930MX @3.2GHz

256GB SSD Boot Drive

1TB Platter Data Drive

17" Touch Panel screen

Scores a 7.6 on the Experience Index.

Back to the OP... Sager gets 2 thumbs up IMHO.

Same machine I'm rockin'. I've got it hooked up to a docking station with two 22" monitors to either side.

I was about to order my new Sager laptop and ran across Boxx computers. Anyone ever us them? My build price is about 4k different. I assume the intel xeon e5-2697 v2 12-core 2.7ghz processor vs Intel® Core™ i7-4960X Processor Extreme Edition because other than that the build is pretty similar.

TIA

Boxx (desktops) are EXTREMELY overpriced, but on that note, I've never heard a bad thing about their quality.

As far as Sager goes, everyone I know has loved them, but they are more price friendly.

Haven't visited their site in a while, but Boxx's prices just for adding more memory was omfg unrealistic.

• 4 months later...

I bought a sager earlier this year largely based on reading this thread (and others)

I'm happy overall but it's a beast (17") and the battery life isn't great. Neither of these are a big deal to me because I'm typically at my desk (I mean bar) when using it at home.

I bought my wife a macbook for Christmas. The sales guys told me they're good for "3-D CAD" booting it up in Windows. I haven't seen a thread on here about the macbook for several years. Is anyone running mastercam on a macbook? If it runs good on a macbook I would consider it. It's a beautiful machine. No fans on the bottom, super-slick, amazing display and an 8 hour battery life

Is anyone running mastercam on a macbook? If it runs good on a macbook I would consider it. It's a beautiful machine. No fans on the bottom, super-slick, amazing display and an 8 hour battery life

I think The Evil Machinist uses a Mac, or has used a Mac for Mcam. 

You guys drop some serious coin on laptops. I picked up a Dell m4700 laptop. Its about 2 years old now. Has built in quadro, 16gb ram, ssd. Scores 6.9 on windows index.

How much extra performance are you getting going from a 2000-2500 laptop to a $5k one?

You guys drop some serious coin on laptops. I picked up a Dell m4700 laptop. Its about 2 years old now. Has built in quadro, 16gb ram, ssd. Scores 6.9 on windows index.

How much extra performance are you getting going from a 2000-2500 laptop to a $5k one?

It all comes down to time savings. A higher powered computer will save you a significant amount of time in the long run. Taking a look through the benchmark thread will give you a good idea of you will see. 

It all depends on what's inside to be honest.

Some companies like to charge you way too much for their stuff, and some are competitive, so the price needs to reflect what is inside to give you an answer on performance increase.

I wouldn't get a laptop unless it was a last resort (I don't need to be mobile here at my shop), because I can get a desktop of equal performance for just about 1/2 the cost, and if I build it myself, even cheaper.

M4700 is a good High performance laptop if you got the one with a I7 and quadro card and throw a SSD in it. I own a couple of them for Mastercam training at customers. they are not old as the new one that just came out this year is the M4800 and M3800 that is like a MAC pro.

metalmansteve, I have one MAC pro setup that way. I truly do not like it as the buttons don't all work the same. mine is the Mac Pro 15.6 version. I am going to replace it with a M3800 I am thinking.

• 3 weeks later...

Having a laptop is nice but when you are pushing it all day everyday you really start to see the limitations. When I do a lot of verification or heavy regeneration my CPU temp hits 96ºC really fast. Needless to say it slows it down so it doesn't burn itself up. Next thing on my list to get is building a new liquid cooled computer. That way my laptop can be strictly for when I have to travel.