Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New Machine

JeremyV

My company is hunting for a new machine.... possibly a 5 axis Mill.

So... the big guy wants to spend as little as possible on it... which translates to something that isn't a very good idea.

Us guys on the floor do not want another HAAS.

So therefore....

I'm interested in the ppl's responses here / recommendations / concerns / whatever / etc =)

But generally, we do stainless ( 304L ) uptowards 75% of the time, if not more.  Aluminum is the 2nd common material.

-JD

Man, I feel for you. How does someone go into a situation, knowing they need more capacity, but say I want to spend as little as possible? How does that make any sense? I guess he is going to want you to share tools from other machines too? LOL.  Then people wonder why the industry has taken a hit. Too many of the leaders are from the old generation where automation did not exist, ugh. 

Good luck JD

My company is hunting for a new machine.... possibly a 5 axis Mill.

So... the big guy wants to spend as little as possible on it... which translates to something that isn't a very good idea.

Light, Strong, Cheap,...

Pick Two! - Keith Bontrager

The thing is when it comes to machines you're looking for accuracy and repeatability, you throw the requirement of "cheap" into the mix and you create a double negative that cancels out the other two,...

I have never understood why foreign manufacturers do not, at least, ask a native of their target market to review their literature before publishing. Granted, Heidenhain should be spelled the same in every language, but their site has other clunky language that simply makes them look like a joke. Machine tools are not something you start making without some serious investment and some brain power; why look like an xxxx when you don't need to.

C

• Like 1

The UMC-750 is actually a pretty decent 5X machine for the money. They built Dynamic Fixture Offset and TCPC output into the control, so at least you've got some modern capabilities, even though it is a Haas machine.

What kind of 5X work do you do? The vast majority of 5X work out there is still 3+2. Do you have any parts that require true 5X machining?

A lot of companies I've been talking with lately are interested in doing a "benchmark" type part on their 5X machine, and the conversation usually comes around to machining an impeller. Sure, we can help you program, verify, and run that part on your machine. But how much of this work do you actually expect to do in the future? I'd rather show someone how to machine a complex part that is actually typical of the work that shop does every day. There are still only a handful of shops around the world that make machining impellers their business. Kudos to them, someone needs to do it, but I think it is funny that "cutting an impeller" seems to be the desired focus of so many shops, when they won't be doing that work for their customers. They do make nice shiny trophies for the display case I guess.

• Like 1

Bridgeportboy, how tight a tolerance do you hold on it for milled features, and in what materials?

Matthew, 

In aluminum we typically hold 0 to +.0005” on 3d form, finishing at 15000 RPM and feed of 250 IPM.

Hole in aluminum are typically all within .001” of true position, when checked as a cluster, no matter if is 5 holes or 25 holes, at any given angle.

In tool steel 3D form is typically +.0005” to +.001” finishing at 8000 rpm and 100 IPM.

Holes are the same as in the aluminum.

• Like 1

My friend with a hermle says he can hold .0006 true position on his machine reliably. What does that C400 run?

Dstryr,

I would believe that to be true, holding .0005” on a Hermle C400 day in and day out is why you spend the money you do for one of these machines.

The tolerances I stated above were worst case scenario.

The only thing we check while the part in the machine is bore size for the holes. We typically have .0002” tolerance on bore size so we error to the small side

and tweak the program to get the fit we want. Location is easily within .001” ALWAYS!

The biggest drawback that I see on the C400 is it’s 38 tool magazine capacity.