Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

THREAD WITH DIFFERNT ANGLE EACH SIDE

HEAVY METAL

On our Okumas, you can control the infeed angle and face using an M code. M32 is straight infeed along the right face and M34 straight infeed along the left face.

You would have to have two different cutting cycles, one with M32 B15 and another with M34 B28. The control will automatically keep the start points synced so you won't get double threads.

That's on our machines, however. Your machine will probably be different. If you don't have those options, I would go with a special ground thread insert.

• Like 1

On our Okumas, you can control the infeed angle and face using an M code. M32 is straight infeed along the right face and M34 straight infeed along the left face.

You would have to have two different cutting cycles, one with M32 B15 and another with M34 B28. The control will automatically keep the start points synced so you won't get double threads.

That's on our machines, however. Your machine will probably be different. If you don't have those options, I would go with a special ground thread insert.

how do you force mastercam to out put what you need . M32 or M34

Yes my thinking as well. Is it a 0-45, 1-45, 2-45 or standard 7-45 Buttress thread. Basic threading with correct tool easy as pie.

HTH

That's the first thing I thought and I tried looking it up. It doesn't match. If you look at the picture he attached, it's more of an acme/ trapezoidal thread. I couldn't find anything to match.

Heavy Metal- even if you do get the M32/M34 to work, you're going to need a special insert because a 60 degree thread can't cut your 15.

Guest MTB Technical Services

<<checks calendar.. nope it's not April Fool's>>

I've never seen a thread with 2 diff angles, ever.

Is a form tool an option?

Std Buttress Thread.

45 degree included angle.

7 degree front face angle.

Every turning tool vendor provides them

Nothing special required for programming.

A straight radial infeed works perfectly well for a buttress thread.

You can actually run FANUC code on the OKUMA.

It's a function that's documented in the manual but not publicized too much by OKUMA.

A Hartwig AE showed me that functionality.

• Like 1

That's the first thing I thought and I tried looking it up. It doesn't match. If you look at the picture he attached, it's more of an acme/ trapezoidal thread. I couldn't find anything to match.

Heavy Metal- even if you do get the M32/M34 to work, you're going to need a special insert because a 60 degree thread can't cut your 15.

Well without a Callout really hard to know. Give me a specific callout then I can narrow it down, with that we can keep throwing darts and the dart board in the dark blindfolded. :turned:

• 3 years later...

I am programming a  45 x 2 Buttress thread on an Okuma using IGF.  What angle should I use for feeding the insert? I want to use a zigzag in feed on this thread.  I generally use  M33 and would like to do it with this project.  Do I input 45 or the 2 degrees flank or do I call it 27 degrees ?  What is left and right when looking at the threading tool?? I also have Mastercam 2020  if that is easier to explain.   

On 5/9/2020 at 5:56 PM, Richard Houldcroft said:

I am programming a  45 x 2 Buttress thread on an Okuma using IGF.  What angle should I use for feeding the insert? I want to use a zigzag in feed on this thread.  I generally use  M33 and would like to do it with this project.  Do I input 45 or the 2 degrees flank or do I call it 27 degrees ?  What is left and right when looking at the threading tool?? I also have Mastercam 2020  if that is easier to explain.   

I used to do these type of threads. First of all, I never use zigzag for anything. Wearing on both sides usually causes premature insert failure.  I use the lead in that cuts along the right side of the thread and program the thread according to that shape only. Never have a problem. 

16 hours ago, pro grammer said:

I used to do these type of threads. First of all, I never use zigzag for anything. Wearing on both sides usually causes premature insert failure.  I use the lead in that cuts along the right side of the thread and program the thread according to that shape only. Never have a problem. 

I did a lot of buttress threads on an old Okuma Cadet, I've always get good result with straight infeed and the exact shaped ISO insert (SECO)

in the G71 line set "B" at "0" then  M32 M75 will be your cutting infeed pattern

if the cuts are too rough change the M75 by M74, it will decrease the DOC (and be longer to run too)