Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

un rolled pocket

bad-mod

Hey guys been working on a project with a dog bone shape rolled round a cylinder. I have tried a swarf 5 axis I have tried in rolling the geometry and using axis sub. Neither will cut the wall to the right geometry.

I have done the job on feature cam before as a "wrapped" pocket the key there was to tell feature can to calculate the pocket from the side of the tool as opposed to the center of the tool. Is there this option in master cam ?

Different ways to handle it comes down to do you need a shape that would allow for a roller to move inside? Rolldie is meant more for center line work. For what you described I would never use swarf I would use Curve 5 axis. Swarf will not keep the tool as normal to the floor as Curve 5 axis would do. Might also look at Morph Between 2 curves.

ok, it is a spring so no rollers but the shape is important to handle the stress's involved  with an unrolled contour i can get it 90% right but i need the "y" to move to get the right wall geometry,  seems strange that i would be picking 5 axis tool path operations in a 4 axis machine ?. i am using a 3 axis hartford vmc with a 4th axis. are chooks part of feature cam or do i have to download them >?

Alt-C is how you access Chooks for Mastercam. No not really since you are asking for Y axis movement you are moving up to full 4 axis machining which is not 3 axis machining. The Rolldie is almost like a cheat to allow that ability without having to step all the way up to Multi-Axis, but is really specific for that task it was written for. Great tool and sure beats some of the hand coding we use to do 20 years ago to achieve the same results.

Well that geometry is not machinable from what I can gather. I can make a toolpath make that shape and keep the tool normal to the floor, but in this type of work something has to give by the very shape of the part. The question becomes what is the more important surface to machine the floor or the wall.

Before you go off on some tangent about what software did what, provide your dealer or one us the file, if we cannot do the same exact thing then by all means rip into how much Mastercam sucks. I can provide a NDA if you would like our company is full ITAR, DOD and DOE compliant. We also adhere to D6-51991 as well. Thanks and lets see where we can help you.

Yes it comes with X7 again just alt-C in the main screen and you can run that. I still say Curve 5 axis. Tell you dealer to shoot me the file. I have worked with many different dealers over the years and will be glad to asssit point you in a direction that will hopefully help.

Part like this not sure why you have not tried a simple 2 Pocket with Axis Sub, but again without a model or a print hard to go much further.

The roll die c-hook creates toolpaths around a rotary axis.  The toolpath can

be rounded or squared on outside sharp corners.  When a tapered tool is used,

the tool can run up and down the crease formed at the intersection of two

walls at an inside sharp corner.  Inside sharp corners with non-tapered tools

are not handled and will eventually give an error.