Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Teaching MCX7

Cooper Wilbanks

Hello all! First post here; currently I'm teaching at a community college. I teach an intermediate/intro to Surface Modeling in Creo 2.0 and now I'm doing 3D Mastercam. A little bit about me; I'm 21 and I graduated last year with an associates in Engineering Graphics. I've worked as a CAD contractor while in school then moved on to a CNC programmer using Manual Guide I on a Eurotech 6 Axis lathe doing cutting dies. I worked these two jobs while in school for about 6 months. Then when I graduated I went to work at an aerospace machine shop for a year and now I'm teaching!

The group of guys I'm working with just got out of their 2D Mastercam class and are now transitioning into the 3D world. Well I'm looking left and right for just about everything to make sure I can show these guys everything they need to know before moving to 4 and 5 Axis world starting in Spring. I can't afford teacher starter kits nor do I get "freebies" from the school like training and such due to I'm new. I did get a Mill Level 3 book but it's really a just do this with no explanation type book. I was hoping if I could get some tips from here and maybe even some resources (I downloaded all I could from the Downloads section) from everyone because I really want to teach them and myself more than I left school with. I have a strong start to my career and I want to keep it going strong.

Thanks everyone!!

If I just paid ~$400 for a class and found out that the teacher was 3 years older than me, had an associate degree and a year and a half working in the field...I'd be pretty ticked off.

I understand that some peole are truly gifted, but based on my 25 years experience in this trade, I'd have to put my money on you not being anywhere even remotely near qualified to teach a class to "show these guys everything they need to know before moving to 4 and 5 Axis world."

Just sayin.

• Like 1

Ok with that said guys are we going to help. I agree that not have much experience with Machining and with Mastercam, I find this hard time with you teaching it. but you are so I would rather give you what I can so the students do not loose because you do not know.

There is not allot of free stuff out there. you need to start working on what you want to teach them in your advance class and start asking questions.

I hope you understand were we are coming from I have been teaching Mastercam at the college for almost 15 years. I am known for my know how of the software and I get questions from the other instructors all the time. were really some these instructors should not be teaching what they do not know. Because later I find my self retraining allot them down the road as they did not get the info needed to be successful at there job.

But you can contact me and I will do my best to answer questions.

Question 1 were are you located?

Sorry Jay. You can put a positive spin on it if you want to, but the cold, hard, truth is that if you're not qualified to be teaching...and you're teaching, you're doing more harm than good.

Shame on the school for bringing someone on board who isn't qualified to teach (assuming the OP is not one of the gifted).

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just sharing a little bit of "the world according to Thad."

• Like 1

I would disagree i have been in charge of training all new programers that come to are company and i find it best to let some one with less then 2 years experience  train them in the beginning,  i take so much for granted (plus i am not a good teacher) that some one that is fresh into it will be able to get them to the proficient stage much faster, the ten thousand hour rule will apply before you get really good.

I remember starting at my first shop i learned more in two months then i learned in two years at school.

Hello Cooper,

If you're looking for instructor resource our Instructor kit for Mill covers 2D and 3D geometry creation and toolpaths for mill. You can check out the details of it here: http://www.emastercam.com/board/store/product/534-mastercam-x7-instructor-kit-for-mill/

If you're looking for a bit more explanation behind the "why's" of Mastercam, the Handbook Curriculum might be more up your alley:

2D mill: http://www.emastercam.com/board/store/product/538-mastercam-x7-handbook-volume-1-curriculum/

3D mill: http://www.emastercam.com/board/store/product/539-mastercam-x7-handbook-volume-2-curriculum/

You can also check out free samples of the handbooks the instructor resources cover here:
Volume 1 sample: http://www.emastercam.com/board/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=631
Volume 2 sample: http://www.emastercam.com/board/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=632

If you want more detail or have any questions about our material you can call Connor Turnhout at In-House Solutions at 800-529-5517, ext. 242

Those are good book the Handbooks, I have not seen them sense Charles stopped sending them to me. but that was because he sold them to in-house. now he supports a different Cam system.
But I would like to see one of the newer ones to see how you guys have done with them. I think those would be better books for my way of teaching.

• 1 month later...