Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Syncing tool library on Server

Hertz

I have 2 computers I use, one downstairs at the machine and one upstairs in the cad dept. I have Mastercam on both but I was wanting to know if I'm able to move or share my tools folder on the server so that both computers keep the same tools. Right now, I am copying the tools folder and merging it with the other computer and I've come to notice quickly how annoying it is. 

We have X8 installed. Didn't know that was an option. Makes much more sense. Oh well, as long as I can sync the tools folder.

I would like to add the whole folder to the server so that ALL my libraries are there. Example my Aluminum, Mild Steel, Stainless, etc libraries. Am I able to add the whole folder?

Something to consider, probably easiest when you install X8, is put the shared directory on the server. Not only share tool libraries, but machine defs & posts, operations, defaults, machine simulators, etc.

Be aware that there will be a performance/speed issue once everything is moved to the server.

Mastercam constantly has to access these files and depending on the speed of your server and network you may get some lag.

(Currently in the process of upgrading our server for this very reason)

Machine Def's, posts & tool libraries are all on the server here. I tried op defaults but noticed some lag. With those 3 things on the server I never noticed any lag at all. We have 6 or 7 seats in the milling department here....the thought of going to each computer to update a library is enough to make me want to bang my head. Then I would run into an issue where someone would accidentally recreate tools, or make tools & not define them correctly. Or they would go in and ph*** around with the machine def, messing things up.....moving these to the network made it possible for me to make them "read only" to the majority of the users in the shop.

• Like 1