Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HST Opticore and H-13 46-48 Rc

Brian B 74

Has anyone had any success machining hardened H-13 using Opticore?  I have a solid piece of hardened steel that I need to machine some core sub inserts from.  In the past I have always used a OSG highfeed cutter taking a .008" DOC and .150" WOC going 250 IPM.  On this particular block my roughing cycle is over 3hrs.  I would like to try using Opticore with a Garr VRX bull mill and try to get a better cycle time.

Is this feasible?  Or am I better off with a high feed cutter?  I am doing this in a Roeders RFM600.

Thanks!

Ok.  Decided to go with a Garr 545RA 1/2dia R.06.  7650rpm 131ipm.  .560doc .025woc.  Stepping up wasn't showing a really good tool path so I left .030/s and switched to a waterline.  Finished the rest of the part the same.

Estimated Cycle time with Garr - 1hr 30 min.

Estimated Cycle time with OSG High Feed - almost 3hr.

I am going to risk it and try the Garr.  I will post the results when available.

BB

I think your SFM is too high.

I would go 570 SFM and 0.004 ipt chipload

This would give you about 4400rpm and 80 ipm for a 5 flute endmill

I took the 1000SFM right from the Garr technical data.  I also took their recommended .0015ipt and used that to calculate a WOC compensated feedrate (.0035ipt).

I will plug your numbers and see what kind of cycle time I come up with.