Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

roland_1

Hi,

I just started to use Lathe in MC. I did a lot of milling in MC last years and Lathe before on other softwares. I can't hide my surprise how bad MC Lathe is in comparation  with Mill. Toolpaths are good, only retraction direction is missing. but plane logic it terrible. why they don't just do what they have in mill??

but however.

I have many different parts and many of them are very similar. In milling I would just have them in same file and just copy complete operation group and assign new WCS and geometry and I would be done.

but in Lathe even if I copy my operations in the same file and want to machine back side in another setup it is impossible to change WCS of already created operation. so I guess that importing of operations in lathe has no any sense and can't work anyhow. 

or I'm missing something??? anybody knows how to change WCS of operation???

You can change the WCS of a Lathe operation very easily seems like you are letting your mill experience jade your ability to do lathe effectively. I am programming triple turret machines with Lathe using the milling toolpath with very little issue.

Not defining stock means you are not in my humble opinion a true lathe guy, but just trying to piece meal your way though it. Defined stock allows you the lathe Preview function probably one of the most powerful tools in Lathe most lathe programmers over look. Without defining stock you are not using Mastercam to it's full potential here. Let me guess maybe a Mazatrol guy? Doesn't really matter your back ground, but you are leaving a lot of power on the table so to speak not taking the 30 seconds to a minute to define your stock.

I suggest you get some real lathe training from your dealer and let them show you the real power of lathe before you come in bashing something you are not using correctly. Everyone knows my issues with Mastercam Lathe, but this is one area where not having the proper training will hurt your ability to use the tool you have correctly.

HTH

• Sad 1

maybe stock helps you who don't have enough imagination so you need help for visualizing. for me its waste of time and it complicates everything. totally not needed tool. and I'm afraid that I can help to my reseller much more than he can help me in MC. 

but however as I see you said that it is easy to change WCS in lathe if OPs are imported or used from some other file. but I can't see your answer how!!!

please don't go away from main subject!!

Guest MTB Technical Services

You can change the WCS of a Lathe operation very easily seems like you are letting your mill experience jade your ability to do lathe effectively. I am programming triple turret machines with Lathe using the milling toolpath with very little issue.

Not defining stock means you are not in my humble opinion a true lathe guy, but just trying to piece meal your way though it. Defined stock allows you the lathe Preview function probably one of the most powerful tools in Lathe most lathe programmers over look. Without defining stock you are not using Mastercam to it's full potential here. Let me guess maybe a Mazatrol guy? Doesn't really matter your back ground, but you are leaving a lot of power on the table so to speak not taking the 30 seconds to a minute to define your stock.

I suggest you get some real lathe training from your dealer and let them show you the real power of lathe before you come in bashing something you are not using correctly. Everyone knows my issues with Mastercam Lathe, but this is one area where not having the proper training will hurt your ability to use the tool you have correctly.

HTH

^^^^^^^^ This x1000

Mastercam Lathe works the way it works and some of that is counter-intuitive.

You are trying to force lathe to work the way you think it should work  instead of learning how it actually works.

Get a days worth of training from your dealer and you'll be praising the light instead of cursing the darkness.

do you all here work like resellers??? I asked reseller and he didn't know if you are interested. so please don't waste server memory with writing about that!! 

why are you here pointing on things that nobody asked?? who are you guys??? 

once more: explicit question was "is it possible to change WCS of Operation if it is imported from external file, or it belongs to some other part"!!!!!!!  clear and simple!!!

please answer the question  if you know direct answer!! I would really appreciate that. 

In a case that you don't know answer, thanks for reading and good night!! 

do you all here work like resellers??? I asked reseller and he didn't know if you are interested. so please don't waste server memory with writing about that!! 

why are you here pointing on things that nobody asked?? who are you guys??? 

once more: explicit question was "is it possible to change WCS of Operation if it is imported from external file, or it belongs to some other part"!!!!!!!  clear and simple!!!

please answer the question  if you know direct answer!! I would really appreciate that. 

In a case that you don't know answer, thanks for reading and good night!! 

The answer is yes.

But since you're choosing to act like an xxxx, figure it out yourself. ;)

• Like 1

ha ha, I'm waiting if there will be somebody smarter!! yes I'm sure that you know answer ha ha!! what a joke. that you know it, you would answer it first time. sell that to somebody else ha ha. 

The explanation is not easily suited to simply posting an answer here.

There are various dialogue areas you need to go to.

This is why you were told to go to your dealer.

I already know how to do it.

You're the one who doesn't

Now if you'll try acting like someone who needs a helping hand instead of a bitch slap,

you might find someone here willing to help.

Here's a hint Einstein, Try clicking on the 'Coordinates' button from the toolpath parameters.

well thank you for your try now, but it doesn't change it for me!!!

if I ask question here! and if I say that dealer doesn't know, than I say it from reason. 

because I already tried all other options!!!

So, I so far can't get Changing of WCS on Coordinate button. you can change Work Offset number as I see, but not much is happening there. WCS still stays how it was. there is only another TPlane.

So I'm just interested how you can get it to change from Coordinate button. 

I asked reseller and he didn't know if you are interested. so please don't waste server memory with writing about that!! 

Then try contacting support at CNC Software or contact eApprentice about Mastercam Lathe training.

Pssst... Try being courteous when you contact them.

You're complaining about the software when you haven't even been trained on how to use it.

• Like 1

nothing works so far. obviously it is not simple job that it should be, at least. 

please if somebody knows direct and full answer on simple question: how to change WCS in Operation that is, or imported or belongs to different part???

please only direct and full answers.

No hints or stupid advises, please!!!!! I read enough here of two parrots that are repeating only two words reseller and training.

Thanks!!

nothing works so far. obviously it is not simple job that it should be, at least. 

please if somebody knows direct and full answer on simple question: how to change WCS in Operation that is, or imported or belongs to different part???

please only direct and full answers.

No hints or stupid advises, please!!!!! I read enough here of two parrots that are repeating only two words reseller and training.

Thanks!!

You have been given the correct answer but you don't like it.

The answer is to get training so you understand how Mastercam Lathe is designed to work.

You don't understand the software yet and you seem to have a hard time understanding that.

Forget about me, you have insulted two of the most proficient Mastercam users on Planet Earth (GCode and 5th Axis Consulting).

They gave you the correct answer but you don't want to hear it.

Kids :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Roland, Like what was said click on the coordinates button in the operation. Need to make sure you have the correct axis combinations setup going in the correct way you need it. Then from there you should be good to go. Using the View Manager is the missing part of the equation and also make sure you set all of that up before you even make the 1st operation.

Training is the missing component here plain and simple and your very frustrated because you more than likely have a manager or a boss who has no real understanding of what it takes to get the job done breathing down your neck to get the job done. I had hoped my chiming in would have got others plugging along, but it seems you are just missing the idea oh help here. We are not here to do your job for you. No one ever sat down and showed me how to program lathe. I did not have this forum to come running to to ask for help I had to figure it out all on my own. I pointed you in the direction of the groups I work with the dealers since the company I am apart of has a great relationship with them and CNC Software the makers of Mastercam. Did you get in a car at 16 years old and go take the driving test never seen or touched a car in your life? I seriously doubt it, but it does happen. You lack a basic principle that will help you with lathe sorry if the way I pointed it out offended you, but I would think the fact someone took the time to answer would warrant some gratefulness.

If you never received training to put gas in a car and never knew you needed to put gas in a car how would you know the car needs to gas to run? Stock for lathe is the gas for it engine and once you wrap your brain around that simple concept you will see it true power plain and simple. Get mad get ugly cuss me I could care less. I have trained well over 500 people in my life and hope to train 1000's more. Imparting knowledge to someone is always easiest done with someone is willing to listen and you sir seem to lack that basic concept.

I appreciate I have the respect of 2 people I call friends and they have my earned respect as well. 

Again look to the coordinates button or post up a file that you are having problems with so we can see what your seeing. Right now you have asked us to shoot darts at dart board blinding folded in the dark. You have been ugly to us for missing the dart board when you have not given us a the light and taken off the blind fold to help you do what you need. Thing about point your finger at our lack of help if the fact your forget 4 more are pointing right back at you.

We care to help so put all the crap aside and let us help if not then I am really sorry because between the 3 of us we have well over 90 years of Machining experience and if your experience trumps that you would have never needed to come in here asking for help.

FYI I do not do stock for me I do it for my customers, operators and setup people that I making programs for. Hard to communicate something if I do not use anything to communicate with, but I guess you work in a place where everyone can read everyone thoughts and there is no need to communicate what is going on you all just think it and it gets done huh? See I can be just as ugly, but what does that prove? Nothing.

• Like 3

hey thanks for help. I just found one way that works. so problem is solved, only needs some rework on OPs.

I'm sorry, but I just wanted to say, if you know the answer and want to share it then write it. if you don't want to share it or you don't know answer that don't write what nobody asked you. is something wrong with that?? 

hey thanks for help. I just found one way that works. so problem is solved, only needs some rework on OPs.

I'm sorry, but I just wanted to say, if you know the answer and want to share it then write it. if you don't want to share it or you don't know answer that don't write what nobody asked you. is something wrong with that?? 

Well see if you knew me you would know I care to educate and sometimes when you point someone in the right direction you help them find the right answer. You pointed out there was no need for stock and it stuck me as heading in the wrong direction and limiting the true power of Mastercam Lathe. Not using it suggested a lack of training and again you might be able to make Mastercam walk on water I have no clue since I have had very little interaction with you here.

I had the owner of a company say to me one day you never tell me yes to my questions. I replied back sorry, but you are wrong I never tell you what you want to hear.

Again sorry you got so worked up over this hopefully we( I ) can be more in tune to your questions the next time you have any.

Mind me asking what worked so if someone else is having the same issue they can read this thread and get the answer?

Have a great day and glad you got it going in the right direction. I tried throwing a smiley up, but just not sure which one fits.

• Like 1

answer that I found is that you can't change it from Coordinates button. I doesn't update if you change it from some reason. 

so what I found that work is to copy or import similar Operation that you want to use and select Group name and select Change common parameters. from there you select desired WCS and it will update. then you need to adjust Operation a little bit. and then you are good. still faster then to make new one.