Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Toolpath idea for Mastercam

Bob W.

I think it would be fantastic if Mastercam had a surfacing toolpath that detects curvature and isolated those features for machining much like the Horizontal toolpath detects flats. Often times I find myself machining faceted parts with fillets between the facets and it is a real pain to single these out for surface machining. Angle limits don't work because the facets are at various angles as well. Something to think about...

I believe he wants a path like powermill has that avoids the flat areas when using scallop.

pencil is good for adjacent walls to floors and virticle

Bingo! Even an addition to the selection filter would be great. If it would allow quickly selecting non-flat surfaces it would be 90% there and then one could apply any toolpath.

Maybe I miss understood what you are after. If you have something you can share I can take a look.

Basically any non-flat toolpath has curvature. With 5-axis I can index the part every which way and machine all of the flats quickly enough but when it comes to the contoured surfaces they all need to be surface machined. On more complex parts it can take a long time to select all of these surfaces and they need to be programmed with traditional surfacing toolpaths. Check surfaces also need to be selected and it just becomes a real pain and time consuming. For those that have used the HST horizontal toolpath you know how nice it is to quickly knock out every flat surface with one toolpath and it is very efficient, AND it avoids every non-flat surface automatically. I would love to have a toolpath that would avoid all flats, skewed or not, and only machine the surfaces with curvature. It would be a huge value-add to Mastercam.