Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface Project

JMahon

Had to clean up the solid since I don't have solids, converted to surfaces, created drafting, went to front view. Broke drafting into lines, projected lines onto inside surface of ring. Selected just lines and transformed them to be slightly in front of the ring so you could actually see them.

You're talking something like this ya?

Ended up looking like so.

ring_zps24efec62.pngRING.MCX-7

If you are doing this on the inside of a ring, I am thinking axis sub isn't going to be what  you need for a toolpath

More likely a 5 axis curve with some tilt so you can get the tool in there and get some rotation

Not perfect bit more massaging perhaps but I think you'll  get the general idea

Depending on how much the text wraps around the inside of the ring you should be able to do it with a simple 3-axis toolpath.  I would kick it over at 30-45 degrees and machine it with a tiny ball mill.  As long as you are machining with the ball and not the cylindrical portion of the tool you will get the same results as a 5-axis toolpath.  If the text spans 180 degrees you can either try a 5-axis toolpath or engrave it in sections with 2-3 re-positions.  I always try to keep it simple so I would just re-position and machine with a 3D contour.