Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X7 verify origin

Incogneeto

Hi Guys probably a simple one but not for me. When I load a file the engineers generally don't care where origin is placed. And I am partial to my grid settings.

And my grid is always off kilter so I move it generally to top dead center on the top or bottom face. Most of my parts are circular in some way. So anyway when it has been moved

and toolpaths are complete when I go to verify my Z depths almost always revert to the file Hence my stock is usually not consistent to my part. Any Help??? Please??

I have Bikini Pics!!!

Here's your problem...

It is NEVER a good idea to change the origin of one of the system planes........We can discuss all day whether you should or shouldn't be able to but I will digress on that

I set your BACK back to 0,0,0

I made a copy of back and set that to the top of the part side and set all tool paths to the Copy of Back plane

Everything NOW looks fine

Here's your problem...

It is NEVER a good idea to change the origin of one of the system planes........We can discuss all day whether you should or shouldn't be able to but I will digress on that

I set your BACK back to 0,0,0

I made a copy of back and set that to the top of the part side and set all tool paths to the Copy of Back plane

Everything NOW looks fine

Yep why I think they locked them in X8 and I for one am very thankful they finally did that.

OoooK?? Please Splain Lucy? I have a very limited understanding of these principles so if you don't mind elaborate. And if you really don't mind please step by step for me. The engineers here throw the origin all over the place and each one does it differently so I find myself moving things all the time. Also by some quirk I am dependent on using the grid that you saw. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Dave

Not sure I can explain in a way since it really comes down to a foundational process of machining. I am left handed and I look at everything for the perspective of a left handed person. Not being Left Handed most right handed people are totally at a lost as to how a left handed person looks at the world. Almost all machinist tools are made for right handed people.

The origin of your process is one of the most important things a programmer has to be able to establish. Does not really matter who does what or where the origin is? What matters is how do you take what you got and make the best part possible? Plain and simple and it does not matter if the origin is located in space somewhere. What matter is you can work some kind of idea where you need to setup from. You can setup off of that place or value or point or feature or whatever you decide. Then you need to be to use it makes sense and allow you to make that best part possible, 5" is 5" and if you are measuring a outside dimension of a part does it matter if it is to the right or to the left or on the top or even on the bottom? Now that 5" feature is going to be that 5" feature no matter where or how you locate it or not matter how or when you machine it.

Every time I am teaching someone machining I always tell them break it down to basics. Do you know where your primary datum is? Do you know where your secondary Datum is? Do you know where your tertiary Datum is? That is the basic building blocks of GD&T, but what if the parts you are machining do not have Datum"s where do you start? Okay figure out what is the the most important largest feature on  your part. Then from there build a process and plan to machine it. Make sure you give yourself enough check and way to check the process and then machine it. Mastercam is the tool to make the part use it how you need to allow you to do that. When we use to Pencil CAM everything I would sit down and decide up front okay where do I want to start from. Is that starting place for this program I am about to make the best place? Can I use it down the road for other operations? Can I machine other features and no effect that area or do I need to think about leaving stock? If I leave stock do I need to leave a lot of stock for finishing or a little bit of stock? How much is that stock? Have I accounted for that stock as I have made other operations? Is the part going to be only milling or will it require turning as well? Do I need to think about where and how I need to locate it for a turning operation? Do I need to think about other features that if they are removed later create issues? Do I need to make a dummy feature to hold the part that will not even be on the part when I am done, but will give me a better way to hold the part? Funny I see all these dovetail holding devices and tabs and risers and etc... like it is something new. Been making stuff on parts to remove once it is done for years, yet it something new? I good programmer in my humble opinion know how to be a so many different things. Build your part by building a story to make the part. What if you approached it this way? What if you reverse the operations? What if you put the flat part in a window frame and tabbed it? What if you turned a feature before you milled it? What if you milled a feature before you turned it? Being creative is one of the fun parts of the job, yet I see so many programmers get lazy and wants someone to come hold their hand through the whole process. Please do not take that as a being against you it is a general observation over the years of doing this.

I was explaining to some of the guys at a new company I am in that I see my work as being a lawyer sometimes.I build a factual and actually case when making my part. I check and recheck and make sure I have done everything possible to make the best part. I make sure this and that was done. I make sure the tools are cutting like I would expect. I know they are cutting like I want because I go out and listen and hear them cut. I observe the program I made and say that is acceptable or that is unacceptable and I can do better. I know what I know because I was part of the process and once I am part of the process going ot be hard to tell me my process sucks if I owned and lead the process. I get sitting behind the desk and not wanting to go on the floor. I really do, but that is just not the best way again in my humble opinion. Every part and every job tells you a story, problem is to many programmers cannot be bothered to listen or hear the story the machine, the tools and the process is telling them. When you stop and humble yourselves to see what is going on you learn so much more. Might be surprised how much respect you will get from others when they see wow you care enough to be part of the process? Want to see something fail real quick think you understand a process and have never done that process. I told a young man not to long ago doing something I considered very dangerous for the machine that he told me had been working just fine at a different plant "That a broken clock is right twice and day and because you have it working it does not make it right." How many program machines today and have no clue about chip load, and sfm or deflection or proper work holding or etc......

Mastercam is the tool to help the programmer make parts, but it takes building a good foundation of knowledge to be a great programmer. I will share this I am always learning and always growing. I don't have it all figured out and like learning new and different ways to do things. I humble myself and listen to people. When I am right I will open my mouth and explain why I think I am right. If I am wrong I will shut my mouth listen to why I was wrong and fix my error. When you know what you know it helps you to feel confident you are doing it correctly, not that is thew right way and not that it cannot be done better. That is what a lot of programmers forget. Always many different ways to make something and at the end of the day as long as the part meets the blueprint and the quality and tolerances are met does not really matter if you took a file to make that part what matters is it got made and it got made correctly.

My 1st project in Machine shop in High School back in the 1986 was to make a perfect Square block. We were given a Hacksaw, File, Machinist Square and Emery cloth all the way to 4000 grit. We had to make it the best way we could using the tools we had. Most of the guys gave up after a week. I worked on my block for 3 weeks and had a mirror finish. I can make that block today in about 15 minutes with a 2 finish knowing what I know. Part was correct and did it form fit and function. How many times do people forget the basics? How many times does the process get over complicated? A hole a hole? A plane is a plane? Make it get it done and move on.

Hopefully there are some helpful nuggets of information to take from that if not sorry.

Not sure I can explain in a way since it really comes down to a foundational process of machining. I am left handed and I look at everything for the perspective of a left handed person. Not being Left Handed most right handed people are totally at a lost as to how a left handed person looks at the world. Almost all machinist tools are made for right handed people.

The origin of your process is one of the most important things a programmer has to be able to establish. Does not really matter who does what or where the origin is? What matters is how do you take what you got and make the best part possible? Plain and simple and it does not matter if the origin is located in space somewhere. What matter is you can work some kind of idea where you need to setup from. You can setup off of that place or value or point or feature or whatever you decide. Then you need to be to use it makes sense and allow you to make that best part possible, 5" is 5" and if you are measuring a outside dimension of a part does it matter if it is to the right or to the left or on the top or even on the bottom? Now that 5" feature is going to be that 5" feature no matter where or how you locate it or not matter how or when you machine it.

Every time I am teaching someone machining I always tell them break it down to basics. Do you know where your primary datum is? Do you know where your secondary Datum is? Do you know where your tertiary Datum is? That is the basic building blocks of GD&T, but what if the parts you are machining do not have Datum"s where do you start? Okay figure out what is the the most important largest feature on  your part. Then from there build a process and plan to machine it. Make sure you give yourself enough check and way to check the process and then machine it. Mastercam is the tool to make the part use it how you need to allow you to do that. When we use to Pencil CAM everything I would sit down and decide up front okay where do I want to start from. Is that starting place for this program I am about to make the best place? Can I use it down the road for other operations? Can I machine other features and no effect that area or do I need to think about leaving stock? If I leave stock do I need to leave a lot of stock for finishing or a little bit of stock? How much is that stock? Have I accounted for that stock as I have made other operations? Is the part going to be only milling or will it require turning as well? Do I need to think about where and how I need to locate it for a turning operation? Do I need to think about other features that if they are removed later create issues? Do I need to make a dummy feature to hold the part that will not even be on the part when I am done, but will give me a better way to hold the part? Funny I see all these dovetail holding devices and tabs and risers and etc... like it is something new. Been making stuff on parts to remove once it is done for years, yet it something new? I good programmer in my humble opinion know how to be a so many different things. Build your part by building a story to make the part. What if you approached it this way? What if you reverse the operations? What if you put the flat part in a window frame and tabbed it? What if you turned a feature before you milled it? What if you milled a feature before you turned it? Being creative is one of the fun parts of the job, yet I see so many programmers get lazy and wants someone to come hold their hand through the whole process. Please do not take that as a being against you it is a general observation over the years of doing this.

I was explaining to some of the guys at a new company I am in that I see my work as being a lawyer sometimes.I build a factual and actually case when making my part. I check and recheck and make sure I have done everything possible to make the best part. I make sure this and that was done. I make sure the tools are cutting like I would expect. I know they are cutting like I want because I go out and listen and hear them cut. I observe the program I made and say that is acceptable or that is unacceptable and I can do better. I know what I know because I was part of the process and once I am part of the process going ot be hard to tell me my process sucks if I owned and lead the process. I get sitting behind the desk and not wanting to go on the floor. I really do, but that is just not the best way again in my humble opinion. Every part and every job tells you a story, problem is to many programmers cannot be bothered to listen or hear the story the machine, the tools and the process is telling them. When you stop and humble yourselves to see what is going on you learn so much more. Might be surprised how much respect you will get from others when they see wow you care enough to be part of the process? Want to see something fail real quick think you understand a process and have never done that process. I told a young man not to long ago doing something I considered very dangerous for the machine that he told me had been working just fine at a different plant "That a broken clock is right twice and day and because you have it working it does not make it right." How many program machines today and have no clue about chip load, and sfm or deflection or proper work holding or etc......

Mastercam is the tool to help the programmer make parts, but it takes building a good foundation of knowledge to be a great programmer. I will share this I am always learning and always growing. I don't have it all figured out and like learning new and different ways to do things. I humble myself and listen to people. When I am right I will open my mouth and explain why I think I am right. If I am wrong I will shut my mouth listen to why I was wrong and fix my error. When you know what you know it helps you to feel confident you are doing it correctly, not that is thew right way and not that it cannot be done better. That is what a lot of programmers forget. Always many different ways to make something and at the end of the day as long as the part meets the blueprint and the quality and tolerances are met does not really matter if you took a file to make that part what matters is it got made and it got made correctly.

My 1st project in Machine shop in High School back in the 1986 was to make a perfect Square block. We were given a Hacksaw, File, Machinist Square and Emery cloth all the way to 4000 grit. We had to make it the best way we could using the tools we had. Most of the guys gave up after a week. I worked on my block for 3 weeks and had a mirror finish. I can make that block today in about 15 minutes with a 2 finish knowing what I know. Part was correct and did it form fit and function. How many times do people forget the basics? How many times does the process get over complicated? A hole a hole? A plane is a plane? Make it get it done and move on.

Hopefully there are some helpful nuggets of information to take from that if not sorry.

Dadunbar....... or you can create a new WCS right where you want, any where the

part sit on import. Thats what I do.

I agree on all that you said!! And it was a lot!! :laughing: I'm just having a problem wrapping my head around where I want to start and getting the origin where I am most comfortable. I know it's OCD but I have trouble when it is not just exactly where I want it. And I have been trying to do a step by step so I can be more efficient. I like how Jparis set it up I'm just reviewing how he did it to get a better understanding. And the different ways others go about it. Thanks a lot it really helps.

If time permits today I am going to put a quick video together, showing how to move a part to the origin and then using the dynamic WCS to create different origins around the part to work and not moving the part, having 1 stock definition and being able to program and verify on 1 stock definition....

I have a couple things to get done for customers but I will get this in ASAP

If time permits today I am going to put a quick video together, showing how to move a part to the origin and then using the dynamic WCS to create different origins around the part to work and not moving the part, having 1 stock definition and being able to program and verify on 1 stock definition....

I have a couple things to get done for customers but I will get this in ASAP

Cool JP!

cuz, I can't find the one that came with the X4 whats new, video package