Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

STP FILES FOR TAPS

Tinyfxds

Does anyone have or know where to get stp files for flat bottom or plug taps?  I've been searching the different companies websites without success.  Kennametal has some databases available but every time I go to download them I get a message saying that it's not available.  I'd like to build a tool data base with these stp files. 

Really it's just a visual thing.  It's a little OCD but it's nice having a model of the exact tool you are using.  At my old job we had a model of every tool we used, except taps and I never asked why.  I guess if they don't exist that would be a good reason.

Well they are easy to make, but like JP here not sure why you would even need them. I understand the OCD thing, but there is what is needed to get the job done. I provide all of my customers so much information it seems insane sometimes, but when they can run a job I have not worked with on in months of even years without needing me then I feel like it is a job well done.

Well they are easy to make, but like JP here not sure why you would even need them. I understand the OCD thing, but there is what is needed to get the job done. I provide all of my customers so much information it seems insane sometimes, but when they can run a job I have not worked with on in months of even years without needing me then I feel like it is a job well done.

I guess I was just more curious than anything.  It seems now a days you can get stp file for any tool out there and taps are such a commonly used thing one would think they would offer a data base for those that would want one.  It sure would "Look" cool when you go to verify it ;)

The one thing you need to be concerned with when representing thread helixes is the amount of memory that geometry takes up is astronomical. I have modeled threadmills in the past when I need to be concerned with thread clocking. Taps are always defined as the thread's major diameter for me. I have on rare occasion modeled up the tap because I needed to make sure I had enough depth to reach the required spec. Very rare for me. Iif I'm goin gthat close to the bottom, I'm threadmilling 99% of the time.

HTH

I guess I was just more curious than anything.  It seems now a days you can get stp file for any tool out there and taps are such a commonly used thing one would think they would offer a data base for those that would want one.  It sure would "Look" cool when you go to verify it ;)

Taps would not show threads anyway. A tapping cycle is a "drilling" type cycle and as such would just be represented as a hole with whatever other definition you add to it.

It sure would "Look" cool when you go to verify it ;)

I would rater people doing that kind of work spend time on more important things like axis combinations and ability to place holders and fixtures into a process better than something as basic as tapping a hole. Not trying to be an arse here, but if you want to see threads in a verify then threadmill it.

I had some time this morning, so I figured I throw up an example of how this my look good in backplot but it gains you nothing but only costs you time

So here I am defining it in the tool manager after drawing it, also notice it doesn't have a helix as a true thread would

2014-10-25_10-12-58_zpscbcbd2c4.jpg

Then you can see how it shows in backplot

2014-10-25_10-14-24_zps94f99998.jpg

Then how it is visualized in Verify

2014-10-25_10-15-41_zps11e4f2aa.jpg

But the end result is a straight hole

2014-10-25_10-16-14_zpsaaa68c31.jpg

So all in all it sounds like "cool" idea but at this point anyway, it's just a time sapper for no gain. I for one don't think even if it showed a helix that there is any real gain that makes it worth the time

Taps would not show threads anyway. A tapping cycle is a "drilling" type cycle and as such would just be represented as a hole with whatever other definition you add to it.

True.  I never intended the threads to show on the part itself but sometimes we tap pretty deep or close to the bottom of the hole.  It's nice to see the actual geometry of the tool.  I know that I can just set up a generic length of cut to see but just thought it would be cool to "see" the tap.  We don't do a lot of thread milling here so sometimes tapping deep or close to the bottom of a hole is unavoidable. 

I had some time this morning, so I figured I throw up an example of how this my look good in backplot but it gains you nothing but only costs you time

So here I am defining it in the tool manager after drawing it, also notice it doesn't have a helix as a true thread would

2014-10-25_10-12-58_zpscbcbd2c4.jpg

Then you can see how it shows in backplot

2014-10-25_10-14-24_zps94f99998.jpg

Then how it is visualized in Verify

2014-10-25_10-15-41_zps11e4f2aa.jpg

But the end result is a straight hole

2014-10-25_10-16-14_zpsaaa68c31.jpg

So all in all it sounds like "cool" idea but at this point anyway, it's just a time sapper for no gain. I for one don't think even if it showed a helix that there is any real gain that makes it worth the time

Agreed.  If it's that time consuming for only gaining a visual on the tool, then it's not that important.