Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CMM Math Data individually pulled points.

jneaton1964

I have a very basic tasks which is very difficult for me to do as I have zero knowledge of mastercam.

Person who was performing this task is no longer with the company.

Coordinate Measurement Machine (CMM) which I program, software package does not accept-read math data directly. To program this machine with math data, one must pull math data points.

I.E XYXIJK.

My task is simply to pull points and no more, utilizing Mastercam software.

I can pull up the drawing in master cam. Dimension simple feature but that’s the extend of Mastercam knowledge.

If possible, I would like key stroke by key stroke direction to :

1. Pull points
  2. Print points out

I then can hand type the XYZIJK math data points into my CMM software.

e-mail is

[email protected]

Long term we plan on going with a software DMIS software package.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Hum not sure why someone would want to complicate things, but everyone does what they think is best for their companies. Good luck.

IJK are only needed if you are doing Vector Probing and not needed for standard stuff. Sounds like you guys need to being in someone who knows what you need to get this going in the right direction.

Well you could do it with a cheat, but would be kind of a pain. Make a vector at each place you want to take a probe hit using create point dynamic using a line with a length, Then do a 5 axis drill toolpath using the point as the place and the line as the tool axis control. Then would need a post made to output the X,Y,Z,I,J,K and would be good to go. Again Verisurf can do all of this very easily inside of Mastercam and even program your CMM and run it all inside of Mastercam, but someone decided that PCHARD would be the better direction to head in so tell the expert heading in that direction to get it moving along so the job that needs to be done can be.

It's been a while since I did this so bare with me. You will need the free add-in program that Verisurf has available for Mastercam called Verisurf Tools for Mastercam. Look at the top of the main forum for the link. It has some tools in it. One of which is called Verisurf Pierce or Pierce Point.

1.) Open the part file with the points and surfaces in Mastercam.

2.) Select Pierce Point and click each point. This will give you the Vector for that point on the surface and /or a point at the end of the line.

3.) You can then use  Analyze/Entity Properties and select the line/points. This will give you the point information and the vector data. The data shows as XYZ data but you could substitute XYZ for IJK. 

If your software will import a .csv file, you could do a file/ save as and then select the point data and save as a .csv file that you could read in Excel or use to import. This brought in the point data and then we only needed to deal with the vector info. Or save the offset points on another level. When you select file/save as...select each level individually this will create two separate files that you can then merge(copy/paste) the two files in Excel.

The old school way is to offset the surfaces and project the points normal to surface and create a line if you need one.  HTH!