Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sick of breaking taps due to oversight. M29 output in machine def?

Bucky Cornstarch

So, I program for a number of different machines and have for the most part been using floating tap holders for the last 15+ years. These seem to work okay for the limited amount of tapping we do, so I generally haven't had an issue with the code MC spits out.

Typical code:

(TAP M5)
G0G90G40G80G54
T18M06
M01
S318M3
G0X2.3473Y.5319
G43H18Z.1
M8
G99G84Z-.45R.1F10.
X1.2475Y1.1669
G80
M9
G91G28Z0M05

Fast forward to now: I am finding that using rigid holders with a rigid tap cycle allows us to go much faster and control the thread depth more accurately. (Duh :rolleyes:.)  My machines seem to enjoy having an M29 in the code to turn on rigid tapping, which MC doesn't spit out when I post code. Is there a setting in the machine or control def that would post the M29 for me?

I would like the code to look like this (same code as above but with M29):

(TAP M5)
G0G90G40G80G54
T18M06
M01
G0X2.3473Y.5319
G43H18Z.1
M8
M29S318
G99G84Z-.45R.1F10.
X1.2475Y1.1669
G80
M9
G91G28Z0M05

Up until now I've just been manually editing the code before I send it to the machine, but sometimes I forget. Especially on a Friday afternoon so close to   :cheers: time ;)

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

BT

My tapping section in my MPMaster based posts looks like this;

ptap$            #Canned Tap Cycle
      pdrlcommonb
      #RH/LH based on spindle direction
      if rigid_tap, pbld, n$, *sm29, *speed, e$           #Rigid Tapping
      if use_pitch = 0,
        [
        pcan1, pbld, n$, *sgdrlref, *sgdrill, pdrlxy, pfzout, pcout, pindexdrl,
          prdrlout, [if peck1$, *peck1$], *feed, strcantext, e$
        ]
      else,
        [
        if metvals, pitch = n_tap_thds$  # Tap pitch (mm  per thread)
        else, pitch = 1/n_tap_thds$       # Tap pitch (inches per thread)
        pcan1, pbld, n$, *sgdrlref, *sgdrill, pdrlxy, pfzout, pcout, pindexdrl,
          prdrlout, [if peck1$, *peck1$], *pitch, !feed, strcantext, e$
        ]
      pcom_movea

This may help.

Thanks guys! I didn't want to use the evil "post" word and risk a warning slap from Webby.

To be fair, the post I am using was probably written at least 13-14 years ago (back in the V9 days) and has been updated whenever I've installed new versions of MC.  I'll play around with it and see if I can get it to spit out what I need.

Have a good weekend.

Thanks guys! I didn't want to use the evil "post" word and risk a warning slap from Webby.

To be fair, the post I am using was probably written at least 13-14 years ago (back in the V9 days) and has been updated whenever I've installed new versions of MC.  I'll play around with it and see if I can get it to spit out what I need.

Have a good weekend.

I would strongly tell you to dump it and go to a modern post. Using a Hodge Podge of a post is just asking for trouble. Might be surprised what a friendly call to your dealer might yield. TK-32 will be happy I finally talked about a dealer.

:scooter: :scooter: I am out of the country for 3 weeks in Europe so have a good 3 weeks without the resident PIA. :scooter: :scooter:

If its a Fanuc control, there is a parameter to make G84 always rigid tap, without using M29. Then if you need to float tap something for increased tap life/speed or whatever you can change it back.  I don't know why Fanuc has it turned off as a factory standard.