Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

how can i do this?

cherokeechief79

is this not possible within mastercam? isnt there someway to project "normal" to the sphere surface?

That would require a multiaxis toolpath,..

You are trying to cut the seam line and keep the tool normal to the surface of the ball, ideally it would work best with a 5axis setup, the next best would be simultaneous 4axis in an indexer.

Axis substitution is not the answer for this geom.

I think the bottom line here is from a modeling/design standpoint is no, I don't believe Mastercam can do what you're asking and if it can, it is certainly not a simple task.

That was why I put up the model of the baseball.

That would require a multiaxis toolpath,..

You are trying to cut the seam line and keep the tool normal to the surface of the ball, ideally it would work best with a 5axis setup, the next best would be simultaneous 4axis in an indexer.

Axis substitution is not the answer for this geom.

i didnt mean keep the tool normal to the sphere.i wanted the geometry to wrap normal to the sphere.and then use contour 3d with axis sustitution.if it were drawn correctly i think i could get the ball endmill to follow and output code correctly.when i draw the geo above the ball and project the geo onto it it doesnt "wrap" properly.

ill try tha project normal button again but i dont think it worked with that either last time i tried.

i didnt mean keep the tool normal to the sphere.i wanted the geometry to wrap normal to the sphere.and then use contour 3d with axis sustitution.if it were drawn correctly i think i could get the ball endmill to follow and output code correctly.when i draw the geo above the ball and project the geo onto it it doesnt "wrap" properly.

ill try tha project normal button again but i dont think it worked with that either last time i tried.

That's because wrap is setup to roll the geom around a constant dia, axis substitution is going to do the same thing,...

If you want cut this as a 4axis toolpath you should use simultaneous output because of the constantly changing radius of the sphere, the toolpath needs to be able to move on the Y axis.

If you are wrapping geom around the X axis in an axis sub toolpath the Y axis is locked at zero or the center of rotation.

That's because wrap is setup to roll the geom around a constant dia, axis substitution is going to do the same thing,...

If you want cut this as a 4axis toolpath you should use simultaneous output because of the constantly changing radius of the sphere, the toolpath needs to be able to move on the Y axis.

If you are wrapping geom around the X axis in an axis sub toolpath the Y axis is locked at zero or the center of rotation.

i got it.you are right it would have to be output as 4 axis.

this still seems possible though right?

if i took the geometry from the baseball above and created a sphere in the center of it as a surface could i project the lines onto the sphere ?

ill have to give this a try.

im only persistant on this because i teach cnc at night and my students are asking about this.i dont want to just say we cant do it.

Its definitely possible to do it, just not with a simple xform -> project to create the geometry.. I think you would have better luck if you were to xform project from at least three different sides of the part and fudge the lines together.. once you have the geometry it should be easier.

I will give this a shot and see how it works out..

You would need to do the projection in 3 dimensions, when you're projecting in the T/F/R planes it's a 2D projection associated to the Z axis of that plane.

I have used the ISO plane as a toolplane before to do something similar for some multiaxis tom-foolery,...

• 1 month later...

just when I thought I had it! I got the seem ok and it looks great but the laces do not project well to the sphere.it seems they have to be originally drawn normal to the sphere surface.that would mean they would have to twist as they are driven along the seem contour.

back to the drawing board.

roll the seam close to the ball radius and then project it - will still be distorted but wold be much closer  and might look more 'wrapped'. 

ok I got it pretty nice looking finally.

the problem im having now is that my rotary is on the right side of the table and the part is in the chuck facing to the left as looking at it from the front.

the simulation looks very good but the rotary is turning tin the wrong direction.im only doing the laces first so its prolly not going to be a problem except that the "V" is going in the opposite direction.when I get to the text ill have to correct this somehow.

is there an easy way to force the "A" to go neg instead of pos?im just using the generic has 4 axis post.

I did this sort of job on three axis only with hand driven indexing

rotary head

the trick is to split job on angle sectors about 30 degrees use toolpath for ball tip compensation center

You `ll get the right results cause you will always get the same section of the sphere

the principe is the key toolpathes can be different

HTH

• 3 months later...

it came out great.i used the model from grabcad and extracted all of the edge curves. I deleted all but what I needed.then I scaled them slightly larger than the sphere I created for the baseball and projected them onto the sphere surface "normal".

after that it was just countour with a .032 ball and swap y for the rotary.

0324052108.jpg

• Like 4