Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

USING 5-AXIS TOOL PATH IN 3-AXIS POST

Tinyfxds

Is this even possible?  I have zero experience with Mastercam's 5-axis tool paths but I've been poking around in there and am curious if I can use these tool paths with a regular 3-axis post.  My reason for this would be machining undercuts on some of the parts we make.  I know you can use some of the legacy paths to machine undercuts but what about 5-axis tool paths?  If this is a silly question please forgive my ignorance :harhar:

Actually, I was going to agree with Tim, I went into X8 to take a screen cap of the error message.

I just tried it in X8 with a 3 axis machine def and it let me choose a 5 axis curve but automagically locked it to 3 axis

Previous you could not even choose a path without a post that supported it

edit...hang on, let me set my hasp to Industrial

2014-10-30_9-31-33_zps5da31b25.jpg

Tim is correct, I have a dealer hasp and didn't turn off the appropriate options to mimic an industrial seat

Although it "appears" that some of the wireframs based paths may be available

I would still use Surface Finish Contour or Surface Finish Flowline though, just been successful over the years