Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

how to clamp and machine this part (UMHW)

HEAVY METAL

Stock is 4 inch thick by 17.5 by 25 . Part finishes at 3.75 by 15.9 by 20. I know it is going to relieve after taking off all that material. Does not matter what side I start with it is going to be hard to hold to clamp . If i have to flip it a couple times it will compound the problem. Anyone have a workingholding  soilution idea or process order.

Thanks

We do quite a bit of plastic work and using dovetail fixtures helps a lot. As long as you keep the dovetail cut properly, all the clamping pressure is in and down on the dovetail, leaving the material above in a free state, so it doesn't spring when you unclamp. That's about all the advice I can give without a picture.

The following is how I would do approach it to maintain the best flatness .. I am assuming since there is no pic your just looking for a rectangular cube given the dimensions above..

My thought is that it is easily big enough over finish size that you could mill a slot around the outside using a t cutter to allow clamping on while still being able to cut the entire top.. you want to the entire bottom surface supported .. especially under your clamps since plastic will deform easily.

From the times I have had to cut plastic sheet I think your likely going to have to cut equal amounts off either side in order to bring in thickness, I could be wrong but I think if you attempt to take it all off of one side you will end up with a part warped worse than a potato chip when your done.

If the stock is supposed to be 4 inch it will probably come in about 4.04 so you would have like .290 total to remove from thickness..

For best results you probably want to cut both sides a few times taking progressively less each time.. like .07 per side then like .045, then .020 and finally finish with a pass of .01

So.. cut .07 off side 1 then .07 off side 2 then .045 off side 1 then .045 off side 2 etc etc..  

Once you have it to thickness you can then cut the excess off the sides without much concern for distortion.. if you have access to a table saw to get it close its actual a great way to trim fairly close to size.. otherwise vertical bandsaw then mill ..

That's just ugly.. lol.. anyhow very basic idea of what I would try is.. I would probably mill one side leaving stock and leave some tabs you can hold onto it with, then mill the other side.. holding onto tabs, work back and forth until its done then last remove tabs.. would require some fixturing though..