Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mill/Turn users

I am looking for some feedback on the Mill/Turn add-in for Mastercam X7 or X8.  I hear these posts which are ".machine" files are locked and you have to buy a developer key in order to customize the post.  I want to know if this is a true statement.  We have several Mazak Integrex machines with gantry loads and also run a restart sequence tracker in the code.  I would like to know if someone has customized there post in anyway without purchasing this additional license.

The header and the end of the code must be customized with a blanket logic statement and each tool call must have a logic statement before the comment / toolpath.  Nothing crazy at all.  Any help or experience with this newer ".machine" file would be great!

Thanks

Shawn

Yes, those machine files are locked, and the only people with access to them are the folks at CNC Software. They don't sell Developer keys to the public. You would have to get your modifications done through your Reseller. They are the only ones who can sell a "Machine Solution", which is the post and machine simulation files. You aren't just buying the post processor anymore. You are buying a machine environment where the Mastercam interface itself has been changed. You do your programming in Mastercam, but then you have to do your simulation and set all your "Sync Tokens" in the new Mastercam Extensions environment.

The interface for Mill-Turn does away with "Miscellanous Values", and uses a new method of setting and controlling the output of code for your machine. (This new method is to set "Tokens", which are variables that also have properties.)

So saying "contact your Reseller" is really the only thing we can say. That is the new way with the "Mill-Turn" module.

You can still drive your Integrex with a non-Mill-Turn solution, which is what many people have been doing for a long time. This would be a regular 5X MP-Based post processor. These posts do not use the new "Extensions" platform, and therefore have no built-in Machine Simulation. You would have to get a solution like Vericut to check your NC code, or run the code blind (dry-run...).

Thanks for the reply. I still can't believe I can't customize it. Yes I use X6 for our Integrex machines. Just wanted more verification before I let code rip on the floor. We have very little time for dry running these days, and the work pieces are getting more complex.

Good thing I didn't pull the trigger on this new module, I was told different, should have known when he said I'd be the first person to buy it.

Thanks for the reply. I still can't believe I can't customize it. Yes I use X6 for our Integrex machines. Just wanted more verification before I let code rip on the floor. We have very little time for dry running these days, and the work pieces are getting more complex.

Good thing I didn't pull the trigger on this new module, I was told different, should have known when he said I'd be the first person to buy it.

Perhaps the first via that reseller, but you wouldn't be the first, it's out there in use everyday

For what it's worth, I think that Mastercam's biggest asset is the ease of customization.  It has been the software of choice for me due to the fact that I can get exactly what I want out of it, without having to wait for somebody else to give me that capability.  If that customizability is taken away, Mastercam's edge is gone.

I hope that this 'Machine Solution' concept does not expand to other areas in Mastercam.

For what it's worth, I think that Mastercam's biggest asset is the ease of customization.  It has been the software of choice for me due to the fact that I can get exactly what I want out of it, without having to wait for somebody else to give me that capability.  If that customizability is taken away, Mastercam's edge is gone.

I hope that this 'Machine Solution' concept does not expand to other areas in Mastercam.

Yes this is exactly my feelings also!

Guest MTB Technical Services

FWIW, Mill-Turn isn't completely locked down so customers can't access posts for modifications.

Because the posts are directly tied to the kinematic definitions, unlike current posts, there is a certain level

of protection that CNC feels is warranted and I agree.

There is a lot more than just the post in the machine environment now.

Most everything a customer may want to modify for code style can be accomplished as is.

For someone like yourself who is clearly more experienced with MC post work,

the dealer level license should cover most it.

99.9% of customers would never need a developer license to make the post modifications they wanted.

That doesn't mean you couldn't get whatever level you want if you purchase Mill-Turn.

Just make it a condition of the P.O.

I find it hard to believe any dealer would turn down a sale.

The most they might require is a signature acknowledging the customer responsibility for the machine environment as delivered.

As far as the future of the Mill-Turn architecture for the rest of MC, I have no idea.

That's something you'd have to ask CNC Software.