Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

tool grinder/ sharpener for shop

Bob W.

Anyone have recommendations for a small tool grinder/ sharpener that would work well for sharpening saws, form tools, etc...?  My goal wouldn't be to produce custom tools but more to sharpen some of the simpler geometries in house to save time and expense (mostly time) of sending them out.  My budget would be a few thousand $$.  Not sure if that is realistic or not.  Anyone have something along these lines for quick in-house sharpening?  How well does it work?

Anyone have recommendations for a small tool grinder/ sharpener that would work well for sharpening saws, form tools, etc...?  My goal wouldn't be to produce custom tools but more to sharpen some of the simpler geometries in house to save time and expense (mostly time) of sending them out.  My budget would be a few thousand $$.  Not sure if that is realistic or not.  Anyone have something along these lines for quick in-house sharpening?  How well does it work?

We had 4 of the machines when I was running a shop in Ontario, but they were conventional and the guy who knew how to run them was an artist. He was amazing at making the tools and resharpening and everything, but like anything you need to have some skills to use them correctly. I thought it would be cool to learn how to, but after seeing him do it and spending the time with him I rethought that. CNC machine would be my choice, but then there goes that budget. Simple things maybe, but you in my humble opinion make a complex list of tools to tackle with a conventional machine. Like anything educate yourself and call around and see what others are doing and if you have good relationship with your local re sharping house go in and see what they are using and doing. Be cool to know what you come up with if you don't mind sharing it.

We have a Cincinnati  Monaset http://www.cinmac.com/CutterToolGrinder/Monaset.html

Our machine is at least 30 years old but they still have the same design, you can make about anything with them. We also use it everyday.

I guess they don't actually make the "Cincinnati Milacron" Monoset grinder

Here is one of those used with a bunch of wheels and collets

https://www.machinetools.com/en/for-sale/337855-cincinnati-grinders-inc-monoset?btr=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubWFjaGluZXRvb2xzLmNvbS9lbi9mb3Itc2FsZS9tYWNoaW5lcy90eXBlL3Rvb2wtY3V0dGVyLWdyaW5kZXJzLz9pRGlzcGxheUxlbmd0aD0yNSZpRGlzcGxheVN0YXJ0PTI1JmlTb3J0Q29sXzA9MCZzU29ydERpcl8wPWFzYyZtRGF0YVByb3BfMD1tYW51ZmFjdHVyZXJfYW5kX21vZGVs

We have a Cincinnati  Monaset http://www.cinmac.com/CutterToolGrinder/Monaset.html

Our machine is at least 30 years old but they still have the same design, you can make about anything with them. We also use it everyday.

I guess they don't actually make the "Cincinnati Milacron" Monoset grinder

Here is one of those used with a bunch of wheels and collets

https://www.machinetools.com/en/for-sale/337855-cincinnati-grinders-inc-monoset?btr=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubWFjaGluZXRvb2xzLmNvbS9lbi9mb3Itc2FsZS9tYWNoaW5lcy90eXBlL3Rvb2wtY3V0dGVyLWdyaW5kZXJzLz9pRGlzcGxheUxlbmd0aD0yNSZpRGlzcGxheVN0YXJ0PTI1JmlTb3J0Q29sXzA9MCZzU29ydERpcl8wPWFzYyZtRGF0YVByb3BfMD1tYW51ZmFjdHVyZXJfYW5kX21vZGVs

I just bought that unit.  Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1

Very cool now you will be able to add that to your list of talents and abilities. :unworthy:

Yes, I am very excited to learn new things.  I have ZERO experience with grinding and I'm sure I will learn things that will be beneficial in other areas.  I think this is a great addition to our current capabilities.  My high school employee is doing fantastic at scraping so I might put him to work on this if need be.

we grind our part locating pins on it as well (works great for diamond shaped pins)

I hadn't even thought of that.  There have been so many times where I needed a pin to be a dead perfect fit and there wasn't one available that would work off the shelf.  I'm sure there will be other instances where this will be a huge asset.

Bob,

The Cincinnati Monoset is probably the most versatile cutter grinding machine you will find, so that's a great choice. :thumbsup:

As with other aspects of this trade, you can learn cutter grinding basics in a short time, but it takes years to master it.

Good luck!  :cheers:

Yes I think that is very true and I would rather master other things. Wife would be happy if I mastered speaking in Portuguese for one thing her native tongue., but we all know I got a hard enough time with English. :laughing:

• Like 1