Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Weird Flowline/Normal "bug"?

So I imported a .stp file of a part that I have to make Shown and Opposite of.

Using flowline on a set of surfaces, 3 of them differ from the other 20.

THEN

I mirror image the part, and program the same flowline and only ONE of those surfaces are different. weird.

Question, I use flowline quite often, is it possible to change the flowline direction of 1 surface out of 20 so I don't have to make a separate toolpath for that single surface?

Using X5

In X8 at the bottom of Edit are some normals controls. Have you tried using of them to help?

I have X5, sorry, I'll edit my OP.

When I set normals in X5, that doesn't change flowline direction does it? IE: vertical path versus horizontal path.

I'm having a brain fart

I have X5, sorry, I'll edit my OP.

When I set normals in X5, that doesn't change flowline direction does it? IE: vertical path versus horizontal path.

I'm having a brain fart

Nope it does not, why you have to combine the areas you are looking for an remake a surface for that area. Might look at Surface blend or surface finish contour. Use the save some and post up something to look at.

• Like 1

moldplus has tools to change flowline direction

http://www.moldplus.com/videos/Change_Uv_Direction_x6/change_uv_direction.html

CHANGE UV DIRECTION

This function is used to edit the surface parameters to align the U and V directions of a surface patch. In other words, this function will allow you to change the ‘grain direction’ of a surface.

Aligning the U and V directions will result in better finishes in certain toolpaths such as flowline machining.

Note that in some cases, manipulating the UV direction of the faces will still not give the desired result in machining!

• Like 1